FlyFishingInNH.com Forum

FlyFishingInNH.com Forum (http://flyfishinginnh.com/vforum/index.php)
-   Gear Discussion (http://flyfishinginnh.com/vforum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   9" 5 wt questions,recommendations (http://flyfishinginnh.com/vforum/showthread.php?t=10750)

nhwrench01 07-04-2017 04:50 PM

9" 5 wt questions,recommendations

so, going to throw out this (I'm sure, asked many time question )
after having a nice (xmass present, ) 9" 5/6 wt rod for 2 or 3 years .,I found it my ..go to rod.
mostly kayak fishing, a 9" rod is nice .
I have many rods, all different weights and lengths , non 9" (anymore)
( all my rods are from, trades,yard sales or given to me)
so, @picketpin and I were up north fishing and 10 min, into it,,, snap.. 4' broke of the tip .
anyway, looking for recommendations on a new 9 foot ,2 piece , 5 weight rod. don't need a reel , got many.. and need a fast action rod, my 8.5" ( I found out ) is slow action) what a pain to cast..
looking for a good rod( for the price) .
so, again. 9 foot , 5 weight ,2 piece, fast action. no more than $250 ish,,,
thanks for reading and the help.

BrookieSlayah 07-05-2017 10:23 AM

TFO signature series is tough to beat for $130

flyfish_tfo 07-05-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookieSlayah (Post 86190)
TFO signature series is tough to beat for $130

Check out beans rods too, can't beat their warranty.

Sharky 07-05-2017 12:46 PM

The Reddington Classic Trout has served me well so far. Though I have the 8'6" no doubt the 9' would be a fine replacement. Only caveat is that model is a 4 pc which i like, but you may not.

Steve H. 07-05-2017 04:29 PM

Last time I was in KTP, they had a 9' 5 weight Sage ONE for $400 (marked down from $850).

Yes, I know, not $250, but an amazing rod at that price.

nhwrench01 07-05-2017 09:00 PM

Thanks for the input , I will do some "net" shopping this weekend.
Thanks again..

TGIF 07-06-2017 06:17 PM

RFP BVK... if you fish from a kayak go for the 10'

Gone Fishin' 07-08-2017 03:23 PM

I've used lower priced rods from TFO, Redington and St. Croix. All make a good stick, but what I like in a fly rod may not be what you like. (I tend to prefer a slower stick.) Try before you buy if at all possible.

The TFO Signature Series is a great value. I have a 7 weight I like, but have never tried it in a five. My buddy has the Pro Series in a five weight. He seems to like it. I've cast it and would rate it a bit faster than the Signature Series.

Another person mentioned the Redington Classic Trout. I've owned both the Classic Trout (five and three weights) and the Voyant (three weight) from Redington. I rather liked the Classic Trout but fast it's not. So if fast is what your after look elsewhere, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Redington. Their customer service is good as well. I dropped a cooler on my Classic Trout three weight and they replaced it no muss, no fuss.

From St. Croix I've used their Avid series (three weight) and their Legend Ultra in both five and six weight. The Avid I like, but it's sllllooooowww. The Legend Ultra is fine. I rather like the six weight. The five weight feels a bit clubby to me, but may respond better with a different line. <shrug>

As with all things fishing, your mileage may vary. Hope my ramblings help you out a bit.

Oh and PS Cabela's has the Sage VXP on clearance right now for $250 or there abouts. That's a steal for that rod.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sage-...ds/1136677.uts

nhwrench01 07-09-2017 05:04 PM

thanks, I have checked out all the rods at llbean... even did a "on line chat" with a expert . found the rods I like ( 2 sections, 5 wt ) and was told they were ,medium, action. was told to look at the " silver ghost " rods..very nice , but cost more than I want to spend,,( yes, I love to fish, but its still a hobbie when I have time, for now)
looked at redington, cant swing the $$$ for the one I want.
going to contact tfo about there rods... and after looking at a chart, , I think my last rod was a moderate fast action.. not fast... or was I just good with it?
anyway.. thanks to everyone for the help, I WILL post my new(when and brand name) rod when I get one.
going to look at tfo and allen , maybe Cortland too.. dave

nhwrench01 07-12-2017 06:56 PM

Well, I got a new fly rod.
I went with the TFO Signature 2 Fly Rod. It was moderate fast, 2 piece , ( I did think of the 10 footer, but I use the 9 footer for river and pond fishing too)
The warranty is very good ( hope i don't have to try it..)
The price was $124.99 , that leaves some left over for a new line .
I'm hoping to try it this weekend, but we will see.
I'd like to thank everyone for the help and suggestions .
I'll do a follow up to how it works, right after I try it.
Thanks again for the help. Great place, greater people. Thank you, dave