November 18, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Default Best places around Exeter

Hi Guys,
I'm new to fly fishing and new to this site. I live right outside of Exeter. Can you suggest some good places to start? I understand the Exeter and Lamprey can be pretty good, but which parts would you recommend? Any other good rivers and/or streams to try around here?
Thanks,
Matthew
Old 07-08-2009, 11:13 AM

Exeter and Lamprey rivers can be quite good for stocked trout in the spring...but with all of this rain, I'd bet many have been washed into Great Bay to become striper food.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 07-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Matt... Best place to start is the NHF&G stocking list. It is getting to be late in the season but there still are plenty of places. You may have to wait for the water table to drop but I bet there are holdovers left. Read through old postings, look by date even and you will find TONS of information to get you started. Good luck!

I'm Gunnery Sergeant Tom Highway and I've drank more beer, pissed more blood, and banged more quiff than all you numb-nuts put together.

Tags
exeter, lamprey