November 19, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2009, 12:31 PM

Another nomination for the state campground at Lake Francis. I believe they take reservations as well. I think you can do it online, but I'm not sure if you can reserve as far out as June 2010...

There are some sites there that have raised wooden tent platforms, although I didn't care for them (i would think an inflatable air mattress would be perfect for the platforms if you have one of those).
Old 11-10-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall View Post

There are some sites there that have raised wooden tent platforms, (i would think an inflatable air mattress would be perfect for the platforms if you have one of those).
Yeah, I've walked by those. Maybe a cot even, tho I think they are uncomtable also.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:51 PM

I agree that the platforms at Lake Fraancis SP are not the best sites for nice weather spring/summer camping. But in the fall or a rainy stretch when the groung is muddy, you can pitch your tent on the platforms and with a good air matress stay pretty warm and dry at night. They are litterally steps from the Trophy strech of the CT river- That's Money. Another pretty good campground that gives you access to several ponds- right on Little diamond pond- not too far from the CT River and Andro is Coleman State Park.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:10 PM

Default Lake Francis Fishing and Camping

Have been going to Lake Francis for thirty years or so and, in my opinion, has the best camping sites around. From where I live in Merrimack, NH it's about a four hour drive but well worth it.

Several years ago they upgraded their facilities and built a new bathroom and shower facility which concerned many of us old timers. We were fearful this would attract more tourists. The facility also has a washer and dryer. It is always very clean and well maintained.

Most of the lake sites get taken very early, like now, so if you are interest in them go on line now and reserve your site.

June is usually great fishing depending on how much winter snow fell and how much spring rain we got. One thing you can always count on in June are the black flies so come prepared.

I have always found the fishing to be good from May right up to the end of the season in October.

This area does get hit very hard by both the meat fisherman and those that fly fish. Once you learn where to go you can fish without seeing anyone if you wish. There are many ponds to fish when the streams and rivers are running to high if that is of interst to you.

Do a google search for The Cabins at Lopstick in Pittsburg, NH and look at their site. Tim and Lisa Sivard can be a great resource. They give river reports, fly fishing fly suggestions by the week and have a fishing map that shows some of the better areas to fish. It is always good to check the river flows before you go.

Who knows maybe we'll run in to each other sometime. Just look for the silver Chevy 1500 4X4 pick-up truck with the license plate WETFLY.

Hope this helps.

Is it spring yet!!

WETFLY
Old 11-21-2009, 07:28 PM

Default lake francis state park

I have stayed their and love it I too will be back next year .
Old 11-23-2009, 06:42 PM

Stayed at Francis CG a few times last year. Great place, friendly people, great fishing. Can't go wrong! Sleep on the ground and check out the stars!

Tags
camping, pittsburgh nh