November 19, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM

Default Homemade Petitjean's Magic Tool/Tying with CDC/Dry Fly Hackle Alternatives

I had been doing some research on tying flies with CDC (bought small box of brown bulk from Orvis) and I came across this cool you tube video showing the viewer how to use this "magic tool" to create dry fly hackles with CDC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rb3-hR8PpQ

I loved the idea and went to buy the tool... 40 bucks! Forget that, so I forged on with my research. I found this site that shows you how to make your own tool! I'm still looking for a piece of foam, but I found a clip, and I can't wait to try it out! I have a ton of CDC, and very little traditional dry fly hackle, so I think this could really work out for me! Plus you can trim it to whatever length you want. Just need to order some more CDC in different colors I suppose.

http://www.pechetruite.com/Mouches/cdc-dubbing1.htm

For a parachute Adams I could use grey dubbing for body, poly yarn for chute, and CDC for hackle. Any suggestions for tail alternatives? What about wing alternatives for a traditional adams? I think I am missing that material as well.

Side note: I’ve always struggled with understanding the dry fly hackles for some reason.... maybe I never have any because it's so darn expensive? I think I’ve gone to make a purchase before and gawked at the price.

Last edited by mcdo0gal; 12-11-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM

ha, was just listening to a podcast and Charlie Craven said he dosent need the magic tool... he can do it by hand with a dubbing loop. The research continues!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 PM

That was a really nifty trick! I've never thought to actually spilt the thread itself. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
adams, alternatives, cdc, dry flies, hackle