November 21, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 04-21-2011, 11:47 AM

Default Trolling

I also love to troll, I think it is a lost art...most of my years of experience has been at the large Cape Cod Kettle ponds. I have had much better luck trolling out of a float tube than anything else. My theory is the kicking action in propelling the float tube adds movement to the flies, thus drive trout nuts.. I use a floating line and a sinking line depending what type of weather. cloudly days floating line does better, sunny days sinking line does better... experiement.... middle of the day, I use smaller flies, in the evening time, larger flies have worked better form me...My number one fly surprizingly is the royal coach streamer with lots of marabou, next the Dick Empie's goldie ... give it a try and keep it fun.. some days the trout win, some days you do well

Tight lines

Last edited by gillbuster; 04-21-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillbuster View Post
..... sunny days sinking line does better... .. middle of the day, I use smaller flies, in the evening time, larger flies have worked better form me...My number one fly surprisingly is the royal coach streamer with lots of marabou, next the goldie ...
Every once in a while the "drab" colors don't seem to draw much attention. When that happens the Light Spruce comes out and I've seen it turn the tide just that fast.

The original "method" was done from a paddled canoe, and it was said that the slowing down and speeding up when under paddle power did much to impart action to the fly.

As said, you have to experiment. What worked yesterday may, or may not work today. It helps to know the bodies of water and the general fish patterns in those waters.

Rainbows are pretty much fish of the open waters when in ponds and lakes. Same holds true of the smaller brookies. Big brook trout are edge of light feeders for the most part as are big browns in deep water ponds.

The ultimate reward is having your canoe stopped cold, whether powered by paddle or electric trolling motor. You think you're hung on the bottom, but then you are over 30 feet of water with an intermediate line. A strong pull on the rod does not yield to the hang, and then, you feel that slow powerful balk, that sullen pull, and you know, it's gonna be one Hell of a fight!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Koda,

I fish woolybuggers and crystal flash streamers on a sinking line in the spring and fall.

Have you ever used ActionDiscs? They work at really slow speeds... even wind drift. This underwater video clip shows how they work with trolling flies and soft baits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8H8ZlccOh8

-----¬ ∑•)))))x»<{

Best Regards,

Dean Teegarden

WiggleFin Tackle. LLC.
208-388-8539
dean@wigglefin.com
Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 PM

Default Beautiful trolling streamers

Some of the trolling streamers they tie up in northern Maine are as beautiful as fine salmon flies. The ones I'm talking about have a trailing hook facing upward. I usually buy a couple when I visit my brother up in Washington County. It's absolute heartbreak when I lose one to a snag, though!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 PM

There was an iconic fly tier from the Rangley region of Maine named Carrie Gertrude Stevens. She invented the grey ghost and other reknowned streamers for casters and trollers alike. To jaleire's point, flies and patterns from such practical artists are just as beautiful (if not more so) then traditional salmon flies.

I enjoy trolling in the early weeks of the season just after ice out. I have a standing annual overnight trip with guys I've known for 25+ years. Trollng flies and catching up with a buddy fits the bill perfectly inbetween more solitary casting sessions conducted in the morning and evening. Fish can be generally found high in the water column this time of year too, so the mid-day tactic will often produce too. In the true spirit of frugal yankees trolling flies, my rigs are simple and cheap. A couple of 9' 7/8 weight glass Eagle Claws with Plueger 1495 1/2 reels. The reels are dedicated for these early season trolling endeavours, so I opted for lead lines instead of full sinking level fly lines. The color markings just makes covering the water more productive.

Every year around this time (late January), I begin thinking of this trip and counting the days until my canoe will once more "float" instead of "sit" on the water!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Horton View Post
so I opted for lead lines instead of full sinking level fly lines. The color markings just makes covering the water more productive.
Sounds like a great tradition, B-Hort. Just remember that if you're fishing a 'fly fishing only' pond, trolling with leadcore line is not allowed. But I'm sure you already knew that.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Always a good reminder Steve. However, I too have read the Freshwater Fishing Digest . I have 1 backup spool with a full sink line for when I find myself (perhaps with you some day) on stillwaters that are FFO. Thanks for keeping me on the up and up.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:45 PM

This is a trick I learned from an “old timer” while fishing Strawberry Reservoir, Utah some twenty years ago, also my first time in a float tube. It is one 4th of July weekend I will never forget. We crawled out of our bunks and rolled our sleeping bags around 5 am [Jerry slept in for my sake, the “young buck”], Mrs. Clemmens stood at the tiny 30” x 42” table, in her light blue-green, almost white, ankle length flannel nightgown with blue roses [most likely ordered straight out of the Sears and Roebuck catalog that lay tucked under the tiny bench seat that doubles as bed when the table is lowered] pouring coffee into black, white speckled camp cups, also from the catalog I suppose. Yesterday’s catch freshly cooked still laid in the well-used frying pan, perfectly breaded, brazed in just a little too much butter [not that fake stuff in a tub either]. Fresh brewed generic coffee and Cutthroats served with a side of the best fried potato patty I have ever tasted; life could not possibly get any better. I actually found myself just a little jealous of Jerry right then.

Oh yeah, trolling…Jerry and I spent the morning wading Strawberry River, about ¼ mile below the damn, catching and releasing several Browns and Cutt’s on #12 to #16 Light Cahill’s and Grey Wolff’s. By 9:00 AM the “Yuppie, City Slickers” Jerry called them, began showing up with their pale blue plastic containers of store bought dillies and crawlers tied to #6 hooks held to the bottom by pounds of lead split shot, casting whatever direction their wild windup sent the hook flying. Jerry and I decided a control retrograde was in order before we fell victim to the barrage of flying hooks and lead. Jerry, a purple heart recipient, mumbled on his way up the bank that he had seen enough lead coming at him in Korea…I didn’t catch the rest and it was probably best that I hadn’t.

We headed back to the RV, filled up the float tubes and headed into the water, which in the 80 degree sun was a welcome relief; I just wish I had left my waders on as Jerry had instructed, but of course as a 23 year old Staff Sergeant in the Air Force, had to play tough guy for the retired Marine. Hypo what, I had said, yeah right. The remainder of our day was spent maneuvering our kick boats along the edges of steep drops, trailing 80 feet of sinking line behind us. I only know this because, it’s the first time I ever saw the florescent yellow backing leave my reel, with the exception of replacing my fly line once a year. We managed to land over a dozen 16-18” Lakers and Rainbows, Jerry release 3 that were over 20” and I just one, but it might as well have been 100. It was my first and only Trout over 20”, measuring in at 22 ¾ inches. I still have that old Fenwick rod with the little scratch I made in the shaft when I had laid the fish alongside my rod, which at that moment was used as a measuring device because, my tape measure was back at the RV in the chest pocket of my waders.

Tags
black bear fly fishing, fishon, oldtymeflyfishing