November 22, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 PM

Default Any Advice?

Well Friday of this week I am headed to Mollidgewock State Park on the Androscoggin River for four days. It will be my first time fishing the river. Any advice or tips that will hopefully make my trip more memorable with regards to catching some nice Trout. Anyone have any recommendations as to what flies are working this time of the year. I was planning on visiting L.L. Cote in Errol and pick their brains. Any and all advice would appreciated.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:51 PM

Default Some flies

You'll definitely want some Alder fly (zebra caddis) patterns, though I don't know if they're still hatching, probably though. Regular elk wing caddis 12-14, Yellow hornbergs, grey ghost, zug bug, prince nymph, royal coachman, 12-16 adams. Olive and black wooly buggers are a must as well. These have all worked well for me, I listed them in order of their effectiveness for me. Someone else might disagree vehemently about sizes, but I think the above is a decent start. Pretty standard New Hampshire selection. Have fun, it's great up there and I bet they're biting.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Default Dead diamond

The Dead Diamond river is close by as well. It's supposed to be home to a lot of native brookies, but I guess it's notoriously difficult to fish. I've only managed to catch chubs in there myself.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

I would check in with the folks at North Country Angler in North Conway. Nate (natefish on this forum board) fishes the Andro quite a bit, and can definitely help you out. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:07 PM

Bring your size 18 black Caddis. Nate and I fished it the other night and were catching fish on #18 black caddis and $14 tan EHC. Make sure to temp the water. It was 68 when we fished it in the evening. Anything warmer is hard on the fish. Enjoy your time up there. If the river is to hot or is fishing poorly there are plenty of small tribs full of wild fish.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 PM

Stay small with flies

Tags
androscoggin, mollidgewock