November 19, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 05-27-2015, 09:08 PM

Default Newburyport - stripers report

Fished the Merrimack today - Wed. - there were a lot of fish upriver by the Chain Bridge /Deer Island. Top of the tide to outgoing. Nice mixture of schoollies and some larger fish. White and olive seemed to be the choice today. Fished Joppa and the mouth got a few but spotty. We were boat fishing but did see some waders on Joppa get some fish. They are in!!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:01 AM

Default Merrimack

I fished the Merrimack a few nights this week. Got a bunch of descent sized schoolies in mouth at low tide one night and got some smaller ones the next night off the beach. I keep hearing about this Joppa Flats and would love to check it out. Where do I park to get down there, and is it best to fish that area during high tide?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2015, 10:14 AM

Drift - Joppa Flats is the area on your left as you drive out to Plum Island. Past the Coast Guard station you will start to see the area. If you look you will see what I believe is an old boat launch/access spot. I know the waders park and go in there. For tides they were catching fish the other day on dead low. I think you will find fish on the in and out. Just do not get caught to far out on an incoming tide. I know that people also walk the banks of the river you cross on the way out to PLum Island and sometimes do well. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2015, 07:37 AM

Be conservative if you are wading Joppa...the sediments are soft, especially in some locations and the flat is undulating.

People get in trouble by wading on a deposition area (sand bar) as the tide rises and then realizing that when it is time to head in that the water between them and shore is much deeper.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:49 AM

Default Joppa

Awesome! Thanks guys for filling me in with Joppa, I have heard a lot of good stuff about it. I have tried fishing under that bridge that goes to Plum Island which looks like it would be really good and people must of caught a few there because it was crowded when I went but I didn't catch or see anyone catch anything.

To add to fishing reports I talked to a guy that caught a 36 inch off North Beach the other night. I tried there last night and saw a bunch of birds, a little too far off the shore though and the conditions were a little too rough so I checked out the mouth of Hampton Harbor and ran into a few guys who hadn't seen any action since low tide and it was just about high tide, fished a rip on the Mass side for a while and nothing there. I think I'm going to try Goat Island in Portsmouth Harbor next but so far nothing has been as productive as Plum Island that place is hot right now!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:15 AM

Default License

As I read the MA and NH rules, a license from NH is good for salt water in MA.

Is that true?

― Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
As I read the MA and NH rules, a license from NH is good for salt water in MA.

Is that true?
Yes, in this regard NH has reciprocity with both Mass and Maine.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 06-01-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
Yes, in this regard NH has reciprocity with both Mass and Maine.
So you can fish any salt water? Or just water within a certain distance from the borders?
Old 06-01-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japollner View Post
So you can fish any salt water? Or just water within a certain distance from the borders?
Any. This is an excerpt from the MA rulebook:

Recreational Saltwater Fishing Permit Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs the Massachusetts Recreational Saltwater Fishing Permit?

In order to fish recreationally for finfish in Massachusetts marine waters, including up to the first upstream bridge in rivers and streams that flow to the ocean, saltwater anglers must have:

A Massachusetts Recreational Saltwater Fishing permit, or
A recreational saltwater fishing permit from a state that has a reciprocity agreement with Massachusetts. As of February 17, 2011, Massachusetts has reciprocity agreements with:

New Hampshire: MA to NH, MA to NH

Rhode Island: MA to RI, RI to MA

Connecticut: MA to CT, CT to MA

What is the cost of the MA Permit?

The annual cost for both residents and non-residents is $10.00.

― Ernest Hemingway