November 20, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > Conservation Section > Conservation Issues

Old 04-19-2016, 09:13 AM

The best (or maybe just the least contentious) argument here seems to be the one of cost. I noticed that the NH resident fishing license went up $10 this year, and now, in addition to the on-line "transaction fee," they're passing through the "credit card fee" that is normally paid by retailers. They must have a bunch of back-room MBAs brainstorming how to nickel-and-dime their way to profitability. Next thing you know, we will have the State of NH equivalent of Canadian "Crown Reserve waters," with a "rod-per-day" permit fee just to fish them. Oops, maybe I shouldn't give them any ideas. Anyway, improvement of the existing fishery makes more sense to me than new stocking programs. I can fish walleye any time I want here on the lower Connecticut (but I'd much rather catch smallies); it would be a shame to see the upper Connecticut trout fishery compromised. I hear all the reasons why that won't happen naturally (dams, etc.), but why make it any easier for misguided types to transport a few walleye upriver and release them?
Old 04-19-2016, 02:34 PM

This all doesn't matter now because the plan was scrapped. Win for the trout.

http://nhpr.org/post/moore-reservoir...lleye-rejected
Old 04-19-2016, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the heads-up; good news in my book. Sometimes I think I'm living on a different planet:

"For one, they are a lot of fun to catch and they are also one of the best freshwater fish for eating. (NHF&G argument for stocking.)

All of the walleye I've caught (admittedly not huge, around 18" - 20," and not on light tackle) were about as much fun to catch as reeling in a log. A far as eating, they didn't seem to be big enough to fillet, and I didn't want to deal with all the bones. Then again, I'm not much for eating stocked trout either (which is why catch-and-release is just fine with me). Bass is another matter entirely.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:43 PM

Score one for the trout. Score two for the anglers who spoke out against stocking over wild fish.

Thank you to VT and NH fisheries biologists for listening to angler concerns and for doing their due diligence.

Steve
Old 04-19-2016, 04:07 PM

End of story:

http://archive.mailermailer.com/view...0347z-6c06458d

As for "Dub's" comments about walleyes being too small to fillet: I think this photo should clear that up:

Old 04-19-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Dan View Post
End of story:

http://archive.mailermailer.com/view...0347z-6c06458d

As for "Dub's" comments about walleyes being too small to fillet: I think this photo should clear that up:

No, just the ones I managed to catch from shore in the Connecticut, quite a few years ago now. I know they grow a lot larger. We should do a bit better this year when we get the bass boat out on the river for the first time.

Last edited by Dub; 04-19-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub View Post
No, just the ones I managed to catch from shore in the Connecticut, quite a few years ago now. I know they grow a lot larger. We should do a bit better this year when we get the bass boat out on the river for the first time.
If you want any tips, pm me.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:20 PM

I attended the initial meeting on the proposal, along with last nights. Everything was presented very well by the state biologists and the decision to not stock was good news to the majority in the room. At first it seemed the proposal would go ahead until about half way through things shifted for the better, and trout were thankfully considered. Hopefully this experiece will inspire F+G to manage and create better wild trout fisheries. It is definetly a start in the right direction, they just need to keep it up.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:06 AM

I'm glad to hear this worked out the way it did.