November 19, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 04-13-2016, 08:22 PM

Default Did someone say midges?

I tied up some midges to get ready for the trout pond opener. Rainbow warrior, thread midge, brassie, and my personal favorite a soft hackle emerger that has caught Brookie's up to 6 pounds. These are 16's and 18's on long shank curved hooks. I find they hook up a little better. I don't find a need to fish smaller in the spring and rarely do anytime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (8.5 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by bridgeman; 04-13-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:52 PM

That was me, still no luck. I usually don't fish this early not used to keying in on midges although they do come off all year so I guess I should.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 PM

Default Important part of your box

In still water and lots streams midges are the most important insects. Caddis and stoneflies would be next and then mayflies. Midges don't get a lot of love but catch a lot if you commit to them. I fish them with in tandem with larger flies to pull the fish in and then they see the tasty morsel and your in business! These are a little fancy with bead heads and extra stuff. Thread and a little wire work just as well.That little soft hackle and other like it are an important fly. It can pass as a BWO, a caddis or a midge emerger. It can be fished anywhere in the water column including in the film. Those boiling fish will take this type of fly fished on a drift with a greased leader. I would use a large dry like a stimulator or a Wulf as an indicator with a 20" leader tied at the bend for the little fly. That will help you see the presentation for a drag free drift and give them something meaty to think about.

Last edited by bridgeman; 04-13-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 AM

I suppose a #20 body and hackle on a #18 LS hook would work as well. Like a low water salmon fly.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:58 PM

Yes it works very well and I have posted about it in this forum before.

Last edited by bridgeman; 04-16-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 AM

I like those longer natural bend hooks too, and tie quite a few flies on them. Think they're called model 200r, from Tiemco maybe. I even tie some #10 small streamers on them... something about that natural bend that gives a bit different look and they do hook up well.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
I suppose a #20 body and hackle on a #18 LS hook would work as well. Like a low water salmon fly.
Same goes for the really short shank hooks with a wider gap, like an emerger style hook. Some of those little standard hooks are pretty narrow gap and if you want to tie a bit thicker body it doesn't leave you much space to hook the fish. I like to tie a size 18 body on a 16 emerger style hook (#135 or #125, can't remember) and that way you get the small fly but don't lose the gap bite.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:38 AM

Default Midges and Bobers

Bridgeman have you ever fished those under indicators in a pond? Other parts of the country that is a common way of fishing them, i have tried it with slip indicators that i bought from the site noted below and caught a few fish but have never really devoted much effort in it.This site has allot of info on the technique and a nice 2 part article on chormids. Was fishing a pond on Sunday and there were shucks everywhere definitely a major food source.

http://blog.stillwaterflyshop.com/st...-midge-part-i/

http://blog.stillwaterflyshop.com/
Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 PM

Default Yes but...

I have but don't have the patience for such a passive presentation. I tried it on Lucas pond a few years ago and it does catch them. You need a relatively flat bottom and a little breeze to bounce the flies up and down. A depth finder is a must to precisely set the indicator so the flies aRe a foot or less off the bottom. You just sit and watch the bobber. You also get this nasty slack situation that a 90 deg. bend in your line and leader that makes setting the hook a problem. Most fish hook themselves however.
I tie them behind streamers and chuck the mess out as far as I can and strip over weed beds. I count down to the level where I see the fish on the finder. The midges out fish the streamer every time. The biggest fish usually come on the midges too. I use the same technique on rivers too. It shouldn't work and is unnatural to have the tiny midge following the minnow imitation but it works. Trout have a brain the size of a pea. They see stuff that they are used to eating and they bite.

Last edited by bridgeman; 04-19-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:10 PM

Default Still Water indi

Have to try that, staring at an indicator in the middle of a pond is rough duty