November 19, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 07-08-2016, 10:53 AM

Default Looking to catch my first striper

I've hit the salt 2 or so times this year already and a few times last year with no success. I fish mostly around the Merrimack but ive fished Ogunquit Maine as well and will be living in Durham again starting in the fall. I've always fished sand eels and clousers during incoming tides during various different light conditions but nothing. My set up is an 8wt tfo with sink tip to intermediate sink running line. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong, thanks!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:51 PM

Nothing... This time of the season the fish spread out and transition to summer patterns.

A sure bet pattern is to find a decent sized river that the water pretty much drains out of at low tide. The fish that use this type of a river as their home range move in and out on each tide cycle.

Fish the eddies at the bottle necks, like bridge abutments, jetties, points, and outcroppings on an out going tide. Naturally fish higher in the system during High Runner high tides, and follow the fish, moving from bottleneck to bottleneck, as the tide ebbs out. Pay attention to the 'time of tide' when the fish are at each location, and after a bit you will see a pattern.

The pattern can work work on an incoming tide as well. But typically the fish spread out over flats and such on the incoming. It is that outgoing tide that drains the whole river that really sets up a predictable pattern. What comes in, needs to find its way back out before low tide. Bait and Bass. The bass set up and wait for the bait to wash past them.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:13 PM

Thank you a lot for the advice!, I normally fish the incoming tide so I'll give outgoing a shot and try to target some bass around points. I might get the kayak out as well
Old 07-21-2016, 11:24 PM

Grab your kayak and head out to Little Bay at dawn. There's always some kind of action. look for the terns.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:45 PM

Default First striper on the fly

Hello just wanted to update you all on the hunt. I apologize for the lack of pictures, they didnt want to save to my phone but I finally got one! I hit a jettie near Fort Stark on the incoming tide and 2nd cast I hooked a 17inch schoolie. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him come up to eat an old orange clouser I found in my box. I ended the day with 3 fish between 17-20 inches on my 8wt with floating line. I was just gliding the clouser between weed mats and rocks and trying white water for bigger fish. I switched to a weighted clouser at the peak of high tide and cast into a bit of fast moving water and hooked something BIG. Saw him turn sideways and looked to be much bigger than 20in, perhaps even a keeper. One head shake and he was off however. This just gives me more hope for the next outing, I'll most likely hit the salt tomorrow after class which happens to end right as the fishing should be picking up. Tight lines and thanks for the help guys!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:17 PM

Great to hear! I remember hooking my first one last year, too. So much fun.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:30 PM

go full sink line....Orvis depth charge 250 or 300 grain for your 8 wt and use good size deceivers.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:54 PM

You're hooked now for sure now that you've pricked one. Can't wait to read of you success and see your arms full. Good luck.