December 11, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs2 View Post
When Maine removed the Augusta dam on the Kennebec, stripers were soon found up at Waterville. Could we expect the same thing to happen in the Lamprey above Newmarket?
I guess they'd move up as far as the first barrier after the dam. but...

From what I understand, they built the dam in the late 1800's on what was then called "First Falls" (I might be getting the actual name wrong... but it is something like that). So I think it's unlikely they'd move much past the site of the current dam if the dam does come down or is modified in such a way to virtually release the impoundment.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:02 PM

Default dam removal

Hextall, where are you getting your facts? NOAA, DES, Sullivan and Gomez. Lets set the figures straight, the original report indicated the cost to restore the dam was $505K, however, this was based on the same dam deficiency letter sent around by DES, (the same form letter they sent out to all the other towns including durham.) Do you know the cost of the removal of the dam in Greenland? Its pushing 2 million, and look at the result there. How much is it going to cost to restore the Lamprey River if the dam is removed? Millions. The removal in Greenland wiped out a fresh water fishery. I am a naturalist and believe that dams should have never been built, but YOU can not change 200 years of history and nature since this dam has been built. Did you trudge around the mud flats after the draw down and see the death of fish and other animals? I did. The dam can serve several uses, historical, hydro power, recreational etc.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:03 PM

Default Stripers

we would have stripers, seals and everything else up in the lamprey, wiping out all the fresh water fish, it happened it Waterville, Maine, it will happen here too.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep View Post
we would have stripers, seals and everything else up in the lamprey
You say this like it's a bad thing. For some people, and especially on this particular forum, opening up these waters for migratory fish like stripers and shad is considered a good thing. You really should work on knowing your audience, because I don't think you're making the point you want.

Also, I"d love to hear what exactly comprises "everything else." I'm hoping you say great white sharks. That would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep
wiping out all the fresh water fish, it happened it Waterville, Maine, it will happen here too.
Anybody here want to comment on the current fishery near Waterville Maine? I honestly don't know that fishery, but I sincerely doubt that there are no freshwater fish left. I reserve the right to be wrong about that though.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:16 PM

Default Atlantic Fishery? see greenland

Hextall, of the people I talk to in town, you are a minority. About 90 percent want the dam to stay, 5 percent don't care and 5 percent want it removed. Go to suds and soda in Greenland, see what they have to say about the Greenland fishery. Did you go to the boat landing to see what happened to it after the boat landing. before you go expressing your opinion (which you are entitled to) you should spend some time educating yourself. I'd welcome you to spend some time walking we me around Newmarket, talking to the kids who swim and fish in our river, see the looks on their face when they woke up to a mudpile after the drawdown. Once you take the dam, it wont come back.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:19 PM

Default i fished the kennebec in Waterville.

ALL I saw were seals' heads bobbing up and down in the river...no fish, again, you should get out there and educate yourself...
Old 10-18-2013, 07:22 PM

Default i don't really care who may audience is hextall

taking the dam is a bad idea,
Old 10-19-2013, 09:12 AM

Smile

Johnep,

The fishery in the Kennebec after Edwards dam has been nothing short of amazing. Granted it is now stripers, sturgeon and shad not stocked browns.

And as a naturalist, you should know that the loss of forage fish in the oceans are one of the biggest causes in the decline of saltwater fish species. We need more spawning habitat!

I have been involved in many dam removals and if you can find a way to repair a dam and maintain the dam and the fish passage for less money than removing the dam.......well you will become a very rich man.

Dams are also one of the largest contributors to global warming. The water held behind dams is nothing more than a big thermal holding tank.

As to the immediate environment once a dam is removed, yeah it can be a little unsightly. But don't worry, Mother Nature will fix it in short order.

The Lamprey has the potential to be a world class sea run brook trout stream. I hope I live to see it.

While the science will back up the removal of the dam, it will all boil down to money. If the folks of Newmarket want to pay, or a legislator can slide some pork into a bill somewhere, the dam will stay. Otherwise the dam will go, wildlife will will be better off, and so will the human race.

Steve
Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truiteman View Post
Johnep,

The fishery in the Kennebec after Edwards dam has been nothing short of amazing. Granted it is now stripers, sturgeon and shad not stocked browns.

And as a naturalist, you should know that the loss of forage fish in the oceans are one of the biggest causes in the decline of saltwater fish species. We need more spawning habitat!

I have been involved in many dam removals and if you can find a way to repair a dam and maintain the dam and the fish passage for less money than removing the dam.......well you will become a very rich man.

Dams are also one of the largest contributors to global warming. The water held behind dams is nothing more than a big thermal holding tank.

As to the immediate environment once a dam is removed, yeah it can be a little unsightly. But don't worry, Mother Nature will fix it in short order.

The Lamprey has the potential to be a world class sea run brook trout stream. I hope I live to see it.

While the science will back up the removal of the dam, it will all boil down to money. If the folks of Newmarket want to pay, or a legislator can slide some pork into a bill somewhere, the dam will stay. Otherwise the dam will go, wildlife will will be better off, and so will the human race.

Steve
Well spoken.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:08 PM

Default winnicut River Greenland

How is the fishery on the Winnicut River after the dam was removed?

Tags
fishing, fly fishing, new hampshire, three rivers