November 21, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 03-11-2005, 09:19 AM

I love how once a fly is labled a classic people give up on them. I have more success with old wet fly patterns and streamers and outfish more people than you'd ever believe...[/quote]
Old 03-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Banned

BugChucka,

I love classic wet's. People fishing the Hendrickson hatch should try a Pink Lady sometime, they might be surprised. What are some of the classic patterns you especially like?
Old 03-11-2005, 08:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to troutscout

Great another flybook! Its gotten to where I have to sneak them into the house without my wife seeing them. I'll have to check it out...Thanks!
Old 03-13-2005, 06:17 PM

One more book for you to check out is Dick Surette's Trout and Salmon Fly Index. Over 170 classic patterns and some have a brief history behind them. I paid about $20 after tax and I use mine all the time. Happy tying...

Mike

Yogi Berra
Old 03-30-2005, 01:36 AM

Sorry to disagree guys, but I dont think Klausmeyers book is NEARLY as helpfull as Bates, Martineks or Hilyards. I think the pics are lacking and most of the patterns are contemporary and/or regional and/or artistic ties. If you want a serious streamer book nothing tops Bates' for time tested streamer patterns. If you want a great history of the featherwing nothing tops Hilyards, although it features Carrie Stevens and her method of tying, also known as the "Rangeley Style" (Im more of a Herb Welch fan) its really the only thing out there. If youve got the cash and can find one, Forgotten Flies has an incredible array of CS patterns along with many known and lessor known tiers/patterns and is probably the greatest looking pictoral fly book every published. Featherwings are definitely hard to tie, dont get discouraged though, they are probably the most rewarding flies to tie AND fish. I may be prejudice, but.....Duane
Old 04-03-2005, 08:29 PM

I'll second the plug for Joe Bates book. It's great. Alec