November 17, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 03-15-2005, 05:51 PM

Default would like to start tying

Hey guys first off great site already, this is gonna be real nice. I'm glad there is finaly a site about NH. second, I would like to start tying and was wondering what you guys recommend for me to get started I was thinking a kit would be best, is there one that you would recommend, do most have pretty much the same stuff? Any other tips? thanks.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

Good to see you enjoying the site. I'm not a big fan of kits, although a lot of people started by buying one.

Here's what I'd suggest. Find someone who will teach you to tie. It can be someone you've met or a formal class that is going on near you. Many schools have tying courses in their adult courses at night. Where do you live, maybe someone on this board will volunteer to help you. Next get the basic tools; a vise, hackle pliers, scissors, bobbins (2), bobbin threader, whip finisher, bodkin, and a good pattern book such as The Universal Fly Tying Guide by Dick Stewart. Basic supplies would be; head cement, thinner, 6/0 tying thread in black and white. Now get with the person that will be teaching you how to tie and ask what flies you'll be tying and buy materials for only those flies. As you add flies you want to tie, you can buy the materials for them. If you try to buy everything at once the cost will cause you to spend less on the tools. Believe me when I say, buy the BEST vise and tools you can afford (that's assuming you're serious about tying), you will never regret having top quality tools.

I'm sure you'll get lots of advise from a lot of really good people. Weigh it all and decide what fits your needs best.

Best of luck with your tying. It's something you'll be able to do all your life, just like fishing and it sure beats buying flies.[/list]
Old 03-15-2005, 08:43 PM

Got to agree with fessie! The most important thing is to have someone show you the basics. I started tying with just the book (the above mentioned Dick Stewart book) and the basic tools. Even though the directions and photos are great, there's just nothing better than seeing someone do it right in front of you. Learning to do a soft loop or a hand whip finish is so much easier with help right there in the room.

There are also some great sites online with tutorials, such as--

www.flyanglersonline.com
www.troutflies.com/tutorials/

Those are just two of many, many others. Also,ask at fly shops about tying classes, your local TU chapter, or as fessie said, your towns (or a neighboring one's) adult education classes. I finally broke down and took classes with Laconia Adult Ed (back in the early 80's) and my tying improved ten-fold. It's also a great way to meet other local flyfishers.

I also agree that you should buy the materials needed for just one fly at a time; I've yet to see a kit with everything you need. There's plenty of time later on to spend a couple of thousand on materials, hooks and tools; right now concentrate on finding if this is really the kind of vice you want have...really!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:30 PM

I agree with all that was mentioned above. I started with the Universal Guide and tied for about 5 years on my own. Then I took a seminar with Dick Talleur and I was blown away by how much I learned and improved my tying. I kicked myself for not getting instruction earlier. You will advance so much faster with a little help. I don't know where you live but I run an informal class at my shop in Raymond NH on Thursday nights. To get the details check out mountainroadfly.com and click on fly of the week.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:38 PM

Thanks guys for the info, I skiped the kit and went to Toms shop where he set me up real well. already got about a half a dozen wooly buggers done and loving it, some of them even look good.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:44 PM

CahillNH
Glad to hear that the wooly buggers are going well. Thanks again for stopping by the shop. Next trip over bring the flies that you have been tying so I can see how you are doing.

Tom
Old 03-17-2005, 05:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to troutscout

Ahhh Wooly Buggers...these too were the first flies I tied. A friend shipped me a Cabela's beginner kit while I was stationed aboard a ship in the Persian Gulf. Talk about a care package! Every free minute I was sitting at a table with a vise and an instruction booklet. I have yet to get formal instruction but I have used Dick Stewart's book and the flyanglersonline sites to good effect. It can be done the self taught way (I certainly impress the hell out of myself with some of my creations now) but I'd have to agree that a few evenings of instruction from an experienced tier would have been...and still would be...a real benefit to the learning experience.