November 14, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 02-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Banned

Default Pink Posts

I'm tying up some parachute flies and had read someplace that you should use some high viz colored post. I bought some high viz pink turkey flats and tied up a couple of Adams. Actually, I think they look pretty good with the high viz post.

Anyone had a negative experience with high viz post before I go tying a whole bunch of these things?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Site Admin

Send a message via AIM to sbeausol
Default Only positive results

In the limited amount of flies I have tied, I haven't had any issues with High-Viz posts. I acutally use white - works well for me
Old 02-23-2005, 05:27 PM

Go with the white.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:24 PM

Gotta echo the white posts. You can see them in any conditions. But who knows, maybe the bright orange or pink might be mis-interpreted by the fish to be a strike indicator! God knows I've had more fish rise to the indicator than the fly......Experiment. It would be interesting to see if you had two anglers, one with a white post and the other with a colored post, fishing the same pod of trout and see who moves the most fish.

Boneylegs
Old 02-26-2005, 10:08 AM

Never claimed to be an expert with the tieing although I have caught my share of fish on flies that I have tied.

Here is my anecdotal experiences with hi viz posts...

When my eyes were good, when I was a tad younger than I am now, I thought you had to have posts (and wings for that matter) which were subtle and that mimicked the natural you were imitating.

As my eyes started to go bad a few years ago, I coul'nt see as well as I did when I was younger, so I started using dayglo colored posts (in fact I started using dayglo colored wings)... I still catch fish...I don't think there is much of a difference...it's the size and profile which counts not necessarily the color...(at least sometimes!)

BTW a black post really shows up nicely at dusk or on an overcast day when the water is silvery gray...I sometimes use a mixture of two colors on posts...a black and white one works all around (on overcast or on sunny days)...I call it a "skunk post"...I didn't invent it, at some time in the past a really popular strike indicator used both black and white so it could be used in a variety of conditions...
Old 02-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Banned

crap. Now I gotta get black.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:19 PM

I was talking with another angler this past weekend about parachute flies and he told me that he likes to tie his post with krystal flash because no matter what angle or light source there is he can see his fly. I thought his idea was interesting and I will tie some this way this year and give them a try. He says he takes two or three strands and folds them over to tie them in and then cuts the post to the desired length.