November 18, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 03-08-2005, 08:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to troutscout
Default Easy Streamers

I've been tying for about 2 years but have never tackled any streamers. They've always just looked so complicated. However, I've gained some confidence in my tying skills and I'm ready to give it a try. Could anyone suggest a few patterns that are easy to tie for a novice and useful in New England streams?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Black Ghost

The Black Ghost is a simple but effective pattern to start with. Some bucktail patterns, such as the Light and Dark Edson Tigers are relatively simple and will catch fish. If you can find one, get ahold of a copy of "Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing" by Joe Bates. It's out of print, but is pretty much the "bible" on streamers.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:57 AM

I would look for some easy bucktail streamers. Mickey Finns, Black Nose Dace etc. Wooly buggers is another easy tie. Then you could progress to the more difficult featherwing style.

GOOGLE is a good place to look up fly patterns as well as the multitude of tying books out there.

Good luck,

My Midge Page

Flytying: New & Old
Old 03-09-2005, 12:29 PM

Default easy-to-tie streamers

You can also substitute maribou for feathers on on the Black Ghost. Works fine; easy to tie.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:17 PM

Personally, I prefer maribu on black ghosts, although sometimes if the feathers are sparse i put two in to give it a full look.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:36 PM

You could also try the Red & White Marabou & the Montreal Whore (which combines bucktail & marabou)...and don't pass up the opportunity to try tying with llama hair. I tied up some Supervisors with blue llama & can't wait to try them out in a few weeks. The llama has unreal movement in the water, similar to marabou.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:43 AM

When I first started fly-fishing I met a gentleman on the Isinglass River who took pity on me one afternoon after seeing that I was new to the sport. He gave me some tips, walked me around to a few different spots, and gave me one of the flies he was using with great success. As it turns out, he was a regional editor for Field and Stream, and really kick-started my fly-fishing addiction that day.

Long story short, the fly he gave me was a black ghost with marabou wing. The next day I went out and picked up an Orvis fly-tying kit, and promptly taught myself how to tie. The black ghost proved to be a great pattern to start with as it didn't require any fancy materials and the marabou wing made it very forgiving to a beginner, and the fish didn't seem to care.

-- Tom
Old 03-11-2005, 05:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to troutscout

Thanks for all the input. In actuality, I have tied streamers of the wooly bugger and the black nose dace sort. Its the featherwings that look more like Christmas tree ornaments, that I've avoided tackling. I the I'll give they gray and black ghosts a swag. Thanks for all the input
Old 03-11-2005, 07:22 AM

Hey troutscout, if you really want to start into the featherwings, I might suggest picking up a copy of David Klausmeyers book Tying Classic Freshwater Streamers. Excellent how to procedures and GREAT pictures!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Banned

Bonneylegs is right! I have a copy of the book and it's great. You'll be tying featherwings in no time.