December 12, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Default hauling a kayak?

Ok guys. I was ready to make my decision on a kayak when it hit me...I drive a Mitsubishi Eclipse...Wouldn't be too much of a problem except, it's a convertible. So this leaves me the choice of putting a kayak on the minivan, or my mother's little Hyundai Accent. The van has roof racks, but I also stand eye level with the mid-section of the windows and it would be a pain to put up...Anyone have experience with loading a kayak onto a small car (Hyundai Accent in my case) using those foam blocks? I already have those from a while back.

Unless, I could throw the kayak (probably 10 feet) into the back of the van and be good to go, my last ditch effort would be to put the top down in my car and throw the thing into the passenger's seat...
ENC 2014, B.S. Environmental Science and Criminal Justice.
GMC 2016, M.S. Conservation Biology
Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 PM

With the Accent using the foam blocks could be an issue when you tie down from side to side. Not much to attach to. The yak in the passenger seat is actually a pretty cool idea and I would like to see photos if you do it. Watch for low bridges.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:25 PM

The safe and correct way would be to use the rack system on the van or add a rack system to the Hyundai. A 10 foot boat should not be a problem to lift onto the roof, if you have to you can bring along a small 2 step ladder. There are also lightweight trailers made today (yakima) that can be used on the convertible.

You would be surprised to hear how many people loose there boats because they did not tie them down correctly. It is not the damage to the boat you need to worry about, it is the possibility of killing someone behind you when the boat comes off and goes thru there windshield.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:26 PM

I had those foam blocks for my 17' canoe and hated them. Now I just throw my 11' kayak in the bed of my pick-up and lash it to the bed tie-downs with a couple of ratchet straps. You might be able to find a used Thule or Yakima rack on craig's list or e-bay and come up with a way to strap the kayak on. The last Thule rack I bought for my daughter's Altima cost me $85 for the rack system and an extra $15 or so for the four locks, a few years ago at Rack Warehouse in Burlington, VT. That's how I would go. On the other hand. I always used a two-step folding stool to get skis off the top of my tall SUV, so you could do that and go with the van.

Last edited by Dub; 06-11-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 PM

Ok thanks guys. So I'm sure that with a step, pushing a 45lb kayak onto the roof of the van shouldn't be all too hard. Would I be able to just dump it in the back though?

I saw a guy with a kayak in a Mazda Miata one time...He had the thing in the passenger seat. That's dedication there.

Last edited by kyguylal; 06-11-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyguylal View Post
Ok thanks guys. So I'm sure that with a step, pushing a 45lb kayak onto the roof of the van shouldn't be all too hard. Would I be able to just dump it in the back though?

I saw a guy with a kayak in a Mazda Miata one time...He had the thing in the passenger seat. That's dedication there.

If it fits inside the van that certainly can work. I guess it just depends the condition of the inside of the van. When you get off the water the kayak is wet, usually has dirt and scum on it and makes a heck of a mess. I personally will not slide a wet dirty kayak into my vehicle.

I think the guy with the Miata is not to wise. I am sure it really obstructed his view, could shift and land on him while driving or simply fly out of the car. Its to bad he has little reguard for others on the road or pedestrians and there lives when performing such an act.

The good thing is you have choices that will work well.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyguylal View Post
Maybe it reminded him of his ex-wife . . .

Sorry, off-off-topic there
Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub View Post
Maybe it reminded him of his ex-wife . . .

Sorry, off-off-topic there
wide around the seat area?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 AM

I regularly very successfully transport my 10' kayak on top of my Hyundai Sonata and my daughter's Elantra. I don't use the foam, but simply lay the boat right side up on an old saddle pad about 24 x 18. It is thick - kind of a shearling imitiation. Both cars have tow loops under the front and rear - and I think perhaps your Accent may as well. I snugly tie the bow and stern lines of the yak to the respective tow loops. For good measure I add a center line looped around one door post (is the Accent a 4 door?), up and over the seat area of the yak, and down are around the opposing door post. I snug in around the door posts with the doors open. Works very well even at 65 mph with cross winds.

... my two cents
Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 AM

Thank you. I checked and there are spots to tie down on the Accent. It is a four door car.