August 16, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM

Default Pemi, Newfound, sky pond flies

My 12 year old son and I have been trying our hand at fly fishing in the Pemi, Newfound river, and sky pond. We live near all three of these water bodies. We're both quite new to fly fishing, but having a great time learning about it together.

My son has really taken fly tying. Anyone willing to share some of your favorite flies for these water bodies?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 AM

For Sky Pond early in the season I used to say "If it aint chartreuse it aint no use".
Chartreuse wooly buggers with some crystal flash will fool opening day brookies on Sky...but those fish always acclimate fast to that pond.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM

Dont fish the Pemi often but when I do I usually use a #10 Hares ear soft hackle. Good for both sal and trout. 90 % of the people that fish the Newfound use nymphs...stonefly. Good bet would be a prince nymph. Various sizes. The newly stocked fish in sky will hit anything. After that an adams on top or a pheasant tail nymph subsurface will do ok until the end of June. Then the Hex hatch takes over. At dusk when you cant see. July and Aug have to dredge (full sink line). A variety of streamers (mickey finn, harris spacial. etc. ) will work on all three. I dont fish this area mid summer but some do with mixed results. Always a good idea to look for bugs in the air and on shore (spider webs) to see whats hatching.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM

Hey Brad,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info here - don't be shy to do a search and read some older posts of any questions you have.

I've only been able to fish Sky pond later in the year, and streamers worked for me - golden demon, mickey finn, dick's killer... I tied up some cased caddis this winter, and I'm curious how they work on that pond.
On the rivers I've had luck with the tried and true hare's ear nymph as well as the golden demon again.

Good luck, and post how you guys make out.

Tight lines!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 PM

Sky pond black wolly bugger size 10-12 with a bh pheasentail nymph size 16 trailer
I did that one morning and caught 7 in about an hour trolling in a flat tube
Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations. We're working up a list of flies to tie while we gear up for April and I'm taking carefull notes.

Bull moose and jroneil- wej've also had good luck with the buggers. Landed a few really nice fish in Sky Pond last year on black and green buggers. We'll try the chartruese buggers and throw on a PT trailer.

Statler, I haven't heard of the dick's killer. Do you happen to know a pattern?

Newfound, nice picture and advice. We'll give em a whirl.

Any suggestions on flies for salmon on the Pemi?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 182.jpg (90.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 03-07-2012, 05:11 AM

Dick's Killer pattern
http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers...ckskiller.html
Old 09-16-2012, 06:36 PM

Default Sky Pond

Is it possible to wade fish Sky Pond?
www.TheFlySpokeShop.com
Co-Founder Creative Fly Tiers Association
Member Merrimack Valley Trout Unlimited
Founding Member Souhegan Valley Fly Association
Old 09-16-2012, 06:43 PM

Default Sky

You can wade Sky a tube gets you to the other end of the pond which usually fishes a little better than the ramp. I always use a Wooduck Heron or an Olive Heron with good results!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
My 12 year old son and I have been trying our hand at fly fishing in the Pemi, Newfound river, and sky pond. We live near all three of these water bodies. We're both quite new to fly fishing, but having a great time learning about it together.

My son has really taken fly tying. Anyone willing to share some of your favorite flies for these water bodies?

Thanks in advance!
I would say for the Pemi in Bristol stick with lightly weighted buggers or basic streamers, stripping fast-slow-fast-slow cross current in the slower moving water and in the pockets behind rocks--you will pick up trout, smallies and fallfish.

For dries I like to fish bigger flies on the Pemi that sit high on the water like a #12 royal wulf, or big elk hair caddis, and also grasshoper patterns work real well.

With the cooler weather settling in, the water temp has been dropping a little, which should help improve the fishing. If you want easy access head to Coolidge Woods Rd in Bristol.