November 14, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM

Default Sinking fly line suggestions?

I did a drift on the Andro this past saturday, and the guide provided a rod with a full sinking line. I've used this guide before* on the CT (float from Colebrook to just past Columbia bridge) and he provided a rod with sinking line then too.

I've since done the CT float on my own (pontoon boat) several times, and without a sinking line, didn't get as many follows or fish. After the fun on the Andro Saturday... I'm now in the market for a sinking line.

The guide said we used a level salmon trolling line, but I'm having trouble locating it for sale (He said he had Ducrets in Colebrook special order). I'm curious what other people use for a full sinking trout line. Also, what weight rod do you use for it? I forgot to check what the guide let us use.

--------------
* I hired (and will hire again) Jason from Deadwater Adventures. Can't recommend him highly enough. great guy, and we had a great time. He knows the Andro and CT.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:51 PM

Default Sinking line

Forget that salmon trolling line for anthing but trolling. I use Rio 6 IPS (inches per second) WF (weight forward) casting lines for trout fishing. The ones I'm using are called Lake Deep 6. I picked them up for $25 ea in the clearance bin. They cast a rocket and sink like a stone. I fish a 7 weight primarily for the big bunnys I use and the 5 weight for most lake fishing. Most of the high end sinkers also are density compensated. This keeps the fly in the strike zone a bit longer. Rio makes an economy line that works ok. It's a bit shorter and dosen't have loop. They work just fine for most situations.
It looks like Rio has upgraded their premium line to a low stretch core and changed the name to intouch.
I'm sure it's great but at $80 it's pricey. Good lines are very important and the technology has come long way in the last ten years. I fish good, not great rods and reels. I fish the best lines I can afford and change them when they start to crack. It makes a difference in the quality of your presentation.

Last edited by bridgeman; 07-25-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:43 PM

I've been using a Wulff Triangle Taper on my five weight and been satisfied with it. I don't use it very often though, don't fish much water that I can't do what I want with a sink tip.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:18 PM

The Wulff Triangle Taper is a floating line.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labtrout View Post
The Wulff Triangle Taper is a floating line.
Nope.

http://royalwulff.com/products/tt-sinking-line/
Old 07-27-2016, 07:15 PM

Yup, been fishing them for 25 years.

http://royalwulff.com/products/trian...ting-fly-line/
Old 07-28-2016, 05:22 AM

And yet, despite your insistence, my line still doesn't float.

Wulff does make the TT in a floating line, even a sink tip, but that's not what the OP asked about.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:46 AM

Default Weak

The web says its a sinking line. It's a weak sinker at 3.25 to 4.5 IPS. Go for a 6 or 7 IPS if you want to maximize your deep fishing. A lower IPS number will work but you need to wait longer to get down to the fish.
The Rio mainstream type 6 is under $40. I highly recommend you start with that. If I had to buy retail I would buy that one,

Last edited by bridgeman; 07-28-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 AM

Default Sinking Lines

I am with Bridgeman,I use a 7 in rivers and a 5 on ponds, if you want some great info for river fishing check out this Video, Kelly Gallop is the man

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...90&action=view
Old 07-28-2016, 09:34 AM

The sink tip Wulff TT is interesting, as I am a devoted Wulff TT floating line apostle, it's the only floating line I use for trout (for the past 10 years, it's been both a 5 and 3 wt lines).

But, I was looking at something on the order of a 6 ips sinking line. I'll take a look at the Mainstream. I'm not too worried about getting a high end line, this is somethign I'll use one to two times a year while floating the Andro or CT. I have a 7wt, but I'd rather pair it with a 5wt or sell a kidney to get a 6wt setup.