July 16, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 07-08-2012, 05:15 PM

Default Anyone using the tenkara rods?

Anyone find those thing interesting? I'm thinking about picking up one of them, 12 foot tenkara rods. The length and simplicity interests me greatly. Seems like one would be small enough to carry in my backpack at all times too. Any thoughts on them?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 PM

I've used it here in NH and also out in MT. Great setup for backpacking. Check the regulations before you use it in NH. It is not considered fly fishing and cannot be used on fly fishing only waters in NH.
It is very effective on small streams and can can present a fly with no drag. The claims of being 3 or 4x more productive were certainly true when I used this technique in MT on some of the smaller creeks.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:00 PM

Not considered fly fishing?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM

How could it possibly not be considered fly fishing?
"When a fish is caught on bait, I feel bad for it being so gullible, unable to resist - often gut-hooked. When a fish is caught on a lure, I sometimes feel it's been abused especially if there are barbed galvanized treble hooks or umbrella rigs involved. But when I catch a big, smart striper (or a native steelhead, or a double-digit bonefish, or a remote lagoon tarpon, or....) on a self-tied fly, I feel that neither of us have any shame when we look eye to eye." -Juro
Old 07-08-2012, 07:18 PM

Ditto on that - I thought that the definition of fly fishing generally is that the line has to motivate the cast and not the lure. This is certainly the case with Tenkara. It is NOT "dapping" in fact with the length of the line (up to 2x the length of the rod) it is quite hard to dap with. Yeah, the line looks different than our "western" fly lines, but it is definitely a fly line.

I got a short (9') light outfit at the Marlborough show last January. Only used it once, going for native brookies - had a 14" 'bow take by surprise and it was quite a tug of war. Still have to find the "niche" that it fits in - unfortunately it competes against my 2wt Beaver Meadow, and the latter usually gets the nod.

Edit: This is the definition of "fly fishing" from the NH regs - "Fishing by trolling or casting with only fly rod, fly reel, and fly line combination with an artificial fly or cast of artificial flies attached, and does not include the use of spinning, spincast, and casting rods and reels and lead core lines."

I see nothing there that would disallow the use of a Tenkara setup - I'm pretty sure that the fact that they mention a fly reel doesn't mean that you HAVE to use one. Other than that, it is definitely a fly rod, with a fly line, with a section of leader/tippet and a fly attached.

Last edited by ljgurke; 07-08-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 PM

I am more familiar w/ the Maine definition, but I believe the definition includes that the fly can only be propelled by the weight of the fly like. My guess is that the lack of fly line is what rules it out. Either that or the fact that it is more akin to a casting rod than the fly fishing process. When you think casting rod, don't think of a spin caster, but on of the really old 12-15' bamboo rods, whcih used a spey or overhand cast to propel the bait only as far as the line is affixed to the top of the rod. No reel, no line. That would be my guess.

Either way, it seems like it would be tough to make that case, since it is certainly close enough to fly fishing compared to bait fishing.

Regardless of the FFO debate, I think these things are silly. Wy buy a new rig to be "simplistic". That seems like the opposit of simplistic to me. Take your 5 wt, tighten down the drag, tie a really long leader, hackle your adams backwards, and use what you've got.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM

I can't carry my 4wt everywhere I go. Broken down, it's still just under four feet long. I hike during school and I like the idea of being able to have a fly rod packed away in my bag. Im also looking for a longer, light weight rod.

Who knows. For 50 buck, it might be worth it to give it a shot
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 PM

Here is the reply from NH F&G as posted on the Tenkara website (http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/view...1&t=228:cool::

Dear Mr. ****
Under the Department’s current administrative rule the Tenkara style of fly fishing would not be allowed in New Hampshire’s fly-fishing-only waters, though it certainly is a legal way to fish in all other waters in the state. The Department will put your request to modify the fly-fishing definition to include the Tenkara style of fly fishing on its list of suggested changes to fishing regulations, which are scheduled to be considered later this year.

Stephen G. Perry, Chief
Inland Fisheries Division
New Hampshire Fish and Game Department
11 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301
Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 AM

KYGUY...I'm bending my mind to try and think of what length 4 wt you have that is just under 4 feet broken down...

1. 9Ft 2 Piece = 4.5 feet
2. 9 Ft 3 Piece - 3 Feet
3. 9 Ft 4 Piece = 2.2 Feet
4.. 10 Ft 4 Piece = 2.5 Fee

Anyway... my 10' 4 piece fits perfertly along the outside edge of my pack.

Just an observation, but understand taht when packing in, smaller is better.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:56 PM

Its a 7.5 ft 4wt. Breaks down into 2 parts. I'm not dead set on this, as I might get a long 2 or 3 wt that breaks down real small. I just like the telescoping feature of the tenkaras and I would imagine that one could get some serious drifts with a 12 ft rod