December 17, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 PM

Default Andover Maine

Looking for any lnfo on the Ellis river in Andover in Andover Maine. I am giong to be up there for a few days next week.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:41 PM

Best to fish the West Branch on the way to East B Hill. Many spots along the way. The Ellis it's self can be good b ut very difficult without experience on it.
I've fished these waters since the 70's, but not much lately. Good luck and give us a report.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackghost View Post
Best to fish the West Branch on the way to East B Hill. Many spots along the way. The Ellis it's self can be good b ut very difficult without experience on it.
Have a camp up there. Agree W. Branch is the best bet. The main river gets pretty silted. The W. Branch along East B. Hill Rd is a pretty, small freestone stream that runs up the valley towards the notch going into Upton, ME. Drive 3 miles up East B. Hill Rd., the view opens up to the right. You'll drive by about 5 houses on the right and then an open field. Right after the field, on the right, there is an old logging road with a bridge that crosses over the W. Branch. From this point all the way up to Burroughs Brook Rd (another logging rod, with a brown log camp at the beginning of the road), a distance of a little over two miles, the West branch runs pretty close to the road. You can park and fish the different spots. I think there is only two camps along on the river's edge. Otherwise it's pretty secluded except for the sounds of the passing cars. The E. Branch has a combination of stocked and native brookies. A ten inch brookie in there is a "monster."

Your other bet is to fish Bear River that runs next to Route 26 in the next valley over from Andover, in Newry. Best bet is to fish below Grafton Notch (more a small brook up above the Notch) anywhere down to where 26 meets Route 2. There is a lot of private property along the Bear River but there are sections right along road for easy access. Bear River has brookies and small rainbow trout. The small section from Route 2 to where the Bear empties into the Andro, you can end up hooking some large brown, rainbow trout or small mouth bass that are prone to stay near the bigger Andro.

Likewise, I haven't fish the W. Ellis in a long time even tho' my camp borders it. Mostly I head over the notch and fish upper Androscoggin either by Errol or below Pontook. Bigger river, bigger fish.

sing

Last edited by sing; 06-01-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 PM

Had a chance to go fishing for a couple of hours Wednesday evening. Didn't get a single strike or see a rise. I was wadding back upstream to where I started when my hart stopped. From under a blow down on the rivers edge large trout started to emerge. Over twenty came out of that hole and took up positions at end of a sandbar at the head of a large pool. I thought it was going to be my day. No such luck, after over an hour of tying about every fly I had I began to sense something was a miss. All these fish were the same size, my bad casts did not bother them, I saw no signs of feeding and when I left the river there were fresh ATV tracks in a no ATV area. I think I was watching so freshly stocked fish. I would like to go back sometime. The area is nice and the streams were pretty and running gin clear.