December 13, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ary View Post
Solid;
Please see Skill #2...The Kayak is probably not for you...
Ha - this is funny!

Quote:
The most interesting thing about your post is you define your limitations for fishing from a kayak (leashes, controlling drift etc.) yet you do not adapt to overcome the condition. You define it as an inherent limiting factor that you can't do anything about. Nonsense...
I can adapt to the conditions by constantly adjusting positions to control the drift, but then I'm not really fishing. You really need to be hands free, unless you're trolling or anchored up.

Quote:
While we are on the subject of leashes...leashes themselves are dangerous...they do not call them "Yard Sale Noose" for nothing. I've heard way more stories about how "I was tangled in my leash" than "Thank goodness my leash saved my rod" stories. Besides if you are swift enough to drop your line and reach forward to grasp it again while stripping in a streamer, you can manage to grab an 8 foot object before 4 feet of it slips off your lap.
Yes, you get tangled in the leash, and it's a huge pain, but if you have one, at least losing the paddle is no longer a distraction while trying to fish out of the thing. I suppose packing one of those small emergency paddles would eliminate the need for the leash, so I will give you that, but the paddle leash saved me several times in the saltwater. Additionally, it doubles as a drift sock in high wind conditions!

Look, you love kayaks, this is obvious - why? I have no idea, because you never mentioned anything positive about fishing from them, but you seem to know a lot about them. So, based on the original question posted in this forum, what would you recommend for this user based on their budget?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogBoy View Post
Solid-perhaps it was the kayak you were using. Was it a kayak that was made for fishing? if not than that may have been this issue. Its like taking a Ferrari 4 wheeling and then saying the car sucks. It doesnt, its just not made for that. I have been kayaking before most people even knew what one was. I have never owned a padle leash and have never lost a paddle. I also have paddle holders on the gunwales of my boat but 9 times out of ten the paddle sits across my lap, oddly it has never fallen off my lap yet it has fallen out of the holders. I also own a float tube, after i bought a fishing 'yak i never went back to the tube.
Hey FrogBoy,

After reading this post, I logged on to Native's site to see if I could figure out the difference between the kayak I purchased, and the 'Angler' edition. The hull design is exactly, 100% the same. The only thing different are factory rod holders, and (now) an anchor (which they figured out you need to be able to fish out if it). My boat has a paddle holder on the gunwale too - I really like that feature. The one thing that I like to do with my kayak is paddle it from spot to spot, and get out and fish.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:16 PM

Actually...there is a huge difference in hull performance. Similar to the differences between a drift boat and a dory. Similar in appearance yet very different in the water.

There is a big difference in paddles too.

My first yak was a used 8 foot white water for $200 in the mid 90's. It was tapered in every direction and as a result was very uncontrollable. Total drag to fish out of, total drag to paddle.

The next two were new Perception Americas 13' sit inside recreational yaks for $600ea. Flat bottom yaks with reverse channels and a pronounced keel in the stern. Great to paddle, a little squirrel drifting in a breeze, the yak would actually spin towards your line on the retrieve. I was happy with that for a long time, and the one with a rudder could be angled to improve the drift.

Then I got a used Ocean Kayak Drifter for $500. A 12.5' sit on top with a pronounced rocker and rounded keels. The stability is phenomenal in a SOT you actually fall off the kayak before it would roll. Its a great yak, but it has its limitations. In my opinion, a rockered hull is not a pleasant hull to paddle. With each power stroke the boat rises on plane and before you can take the next stroke it drops back down and pushes water with the bow resulting in a bobbing and weaving trajectory...very inefficient. But I fished out of it for 4-5 years while I really looked at yak hulls to figure out what I wanted.

In about 08 I bought a year end Heritage Redfish 14 for $800. A 14 foot flat hull with reverse channels and a pronounced keel in the stern, it also has a bow designed to slice into the water and not to rise over it. I think this is one of this boats strongest asset, it slices through wind and waves without the constant kibbie you get with hulls that are designed to ride up and over a wave. It never blows around, I set up a drift and it stays pretty much true the entire drift, even with a second yak in-tow.

I liked it so much that in 11 I bought 3 more Redfish 12's for $500 each for the kids, and someday I'll get a few more. The 12's are a little lighter and easier to handle for the kids, but they also drift a little more because they are shorter.

I also think the paddles make a big difference. The experts will tell you paddle length and lighter materials are important...Garbage... I've never gotten tired paddling and if you need to turn the paddle to reduce wind drag while paddling you need to hit the gym during the off season.

I like a grain scoop for a paddle...the bigger the blade the better. I want to get there and the larger the blade the less strokes it takes to do it. That goes for repositioning the boat as well. Currently I'm using a Carlisle Day-tripper. Big honking tennis racquets for blades that sound like depth charges when your on plane. Even with a yak in-tow we'll plane-out and out cruise someone with your typical ping-pong paddle sized blades.

YMMV