December 11, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 07-21-2012, 08:35 AM

The rod building class I took didn't remind me of school at all. The instructor and the three other participants and I sat around and talked about fishing while we did our filing and winding. It is VERY helpful to have someone show you how to find the spine of the blank (or at least check your determination). It is very helpful to have the clamp sets and a lathe to form the grip. It is helpful to have rod turners and winding setups, but those you could built for yourself. I've built several rods since, some at home, but I really got a lot of tips and enjoyed the class.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Moose View Post
More great info...thanks again guys.
You guys have me leaning towards building up from a cheaper blank on my first build....makes alot of sense.

How many hours invested roughly does it take from start to finish ? 40 ? 80 ?
It really doesn't take as long as you would think to build a rod. I built mine over a couple of weeks. Solid time invested maybe 10-15 hours. The wrapping is what takes the most time. As stated above, if you do snake guides(I still like them even if it do add weight) they require twice the wraps. Once you get the hang of it it goes rather quickly. But if you get fancy and do contrasting tipping wraps, well that can be a pain in the rear and add a lot of time. Besides the wraps the rest is quickly assembled. It's not you'll do one in a day as things like epoxy do need to dry before continuing.

Best of luck!

-Nic
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach
Old 07-21-2012, 09:06 AM

I don't think this has been mentioned, and I could be misremembering but; I believe you soften the action (or stiffen it, depending) with the added weight of heavier guides, heavier wrap coatings. I believe it is only noticeable to a discriminating caster, which is probably why I never noticed it myself. Others can correct me if I'm misremembering.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
13-14 extra wraps would add 1/2 ounce to the weight of the rod.
14 wraps! A 9' foot rod usually has 10 guides.

"Quality Cork" keeps coming up. The higher priced cork has less pits, so you would use less filler. It isn't any more durable than cheaper cork, just better looking and marginally more comfortable in the hand (before filling).
Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 AM

sorry , I was thinking about the last rod I built, a 10 footer I think I have 13 on it.. nyway, the idea is that if single foot guides perform the same as snakes, why have the extra wraps/extra weight?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
Sebastian,

George is a great guy! I first met him up at profile lake back in 04' We fished for the day and caught some great fish! Actually met up with him some years later when by chance I traveled to Romania. He's a great guy and builds some really nice custom rods.

-Nic
I know him since I started to fly fish and he has started to build rods, back in 2003. he is a perfectionist and makes some incredible rods now. I used him as a resource when I built my nymph rod. How was fishing in Romania? I'm going back for a couple of weeks in august but I'm not expecting great things.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM

I've built about a dozen rods in the past couple of years, mostly for my family as Christmas or birthday gifts. A majority have been 6ft, 2 piece, 2 or 3 wts for back country fishing and have found, Cabella blanks and materials from Mud Hole the most economical. I practiced wrapping on fiberglass blanks before starting the project rods. You can pick-up pre shaped cork handles to start and after a while graduate to multi colored cork and wooden rings. Mud hole also has on-line videos and offers classes up and down the east coast if you're so inclined.

Next week the family will be assualting the back country ponds and streams in the Whites using 4 custom made fly rods. Should be a hoot.