December 12, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 07-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Question Fiberglass?

Has anyone tried out the new glass rods out there? I wigggled one in a shop this spring and was intrigued, but at $475 let it pass. Cabelas has a 50th anniversary model that is currently on sale for $75 and I snapped up a 7' 5 wt. For that price I couldn't go wrong, or could I?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 PM

FWIW, I've only heard good things about the Cabela's 50th Anniversary glass rod. And the comments came from guys very much acquainted with glass rods.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panfisher View Post
Has anyone tried out the new glass rods out there? I wigggled one in a shop this spring and was intrigued, but at $475 let it pass. Cabelas has a 50th anniversary model that is currently on sale for $75 and I snapped up a 7' 5 wt. For that price I couldn't go wrong, or could I?
If you like glass you won't be disappointed. I fish glass all the time and have been using two of the Cabelas all year. Can't say their as nice as my own home rolled, but they're still nice. Plus it's easier to justify bushwacking with a rod you know you can replace for a c note or less. Thanks for the heads up on the sale. Might just have to add a couple more.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:15 AM

Check out this site:

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 PM

Smile

I also fish fiberglass most of the time. Not saying that these rods are for everyone but you owe yourself to try a few out. If you prefer a slower action rod (similar to the feel of bamboo buy without the hefty price tag), you might be pleasantly surprised.

I fish a 7'-6" Steffen Brothers 4-wt for small to medium-sized New England streams. On ska;; streams, the rod loads with just a few feet of line out and it has the backbone for longer casts on medium sized streams. For a dry fly taper, it's hard to beat my old Fenwick FF79.

WaltRyan above has it right when he said to check out the fiberglass flyrodders forum. Great information on past rod makers, new rods, collecting vintage fiberglass rods, rod building, even a link to a fiberglass fly rod wiki. A word of warning, though, you might find your foray into the world of fiberglass highly addictive. For the past several years, I've looked for these rods at yard sales and on ebay. I now own ~ 15. Since I try and fish with most, it's turned into a highly enjoyable hobby.

Next time you get a chance, try out fiberglass and enjoy!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 PM

My first fly rod was a Fenwick glass rod. Very short. I still take it out once in a while. At one time fiberglass is what we had and it worked just fine. Still a graphite man though.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 PM

Just remember, if you backslide from graphite to glass an won't be long before you slide all the way over to the dark (bamboo) side.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:30 PM

The devil has been whispering in my ear about bamboo for years.

Now that the tomato plants are grown up you can pull the bamboo rods out of the garden and go fishing Walt!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:55 PM

I fish glass almost exclusively. I think it makes a better all around fishing tool than graphite.
I think the one thing graphite does better (distance casting) is a solution looking for a problem, when it comes to what I actually ask of my rod on the water. (Not casting in a parking lot trying to look impressive in front of a fly shop employee).
FWIW, graphite and glass rods are both made by wrapping cloth and resin around a steel mandrel. So they both cost similar amounts to produce. The main cost being the labor to finish the rod, not the production of the blank.
$475 sound like one of the priciest glass rods on the market, but if high end graphite is worth $600 and up $475 doesn't seem bad to me.
Just like graphite or bamboo not all rods are created equal. Nobody expects the Sage to sell their rods for $20 just because they can get a graphite SA rod at Walmart for the same price. The Cabela's rods have been well received on the fiberglass forum but nobody has suggested they have performance or refinement to match higher end glass.