December 11, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 08-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Default Poly leader question

I generally don't use poly leaders, because I can easily swap out a floating line for a sink tip line.

For my switch rod though, I don't have the versitip line (yet) and want added depth. I have the airflo poly leaders and noticed that I have looped connections at both ends. Obviously one matches the loop on the fly line but for the tippet end, do you tie the tippet to the loop via a perfection loop knot to make a loop to loop connection? Do you tie tippet to the loop with an improved cinch, or cut the damn loop off and use a blood knot or double uni knot? I am leaning towards clipping the loop off entirely at the tippet end.

If Anyone with experience or input shed some light here I'd be grateful.

E

"You are the Kim Jong-Il of fly fishing forums" - Banks10
Old 08-08-2012, 11:35 AM

I have done all 3 and believe it is personal preference. If you are going with loop to loop, try to tie the perfection loop in your tippet the same size as the loop in your polyleader.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:45 AM

My experience with sinking leaders was that they cast exactly like a bunch of split shot when used with a floating line.
The intention of the maker is that you use loop to loop connections at both ends, so that they are quick and easy to change.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 PM

On my switch and spey using the Rio versileaders and they don't have a loop so tie a double surgeon on the versileader and then put one on a piece of tippet to attach them. I've had very good success with this method. I started attaching them at first with a double surgeon but whenever I needed to add another piece of tibbit the part to tie in on the versileader got smaller and smaller.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:14 AM

Default Tippet rings

I was thinking about this and clipping the loop and tying on a titanium tipper ring might be the way to go for attaching tippet

"You are the Kim Jong-Il of fly fishing forums" - Banks10
Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 AM

Agree with BTA-Tie Perfection Loops on the ends of your poly leaders. Tie Perfection Loops on the tippet and connect loop to loop. This is near a 100% strength factor and does not require shortening the poly when a new tippet is attached.
www.TheFlySpokeShop.com
Co-Founder Creative Fly Tiers Association
Member Merrimack Valley Trout Unlimited
Founding Member Souhegan Valley Fly Association

Last edited by FlySpoke; 08-14-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:19 AM

I have been away from FF boards for a while. You mention a switch rod, what is a switch rod and what does it switch? Thanks.

(This is a serious question, things change so quickly! I know what a Spey rod does, because those have been around for a while; but who invented the switch rod and why?)
Old 08-15-2012, 11:33 AM

Most people think of a switch rod as one that will cast single or double handed, but that is not how they got their name. One day master rod builder Bob Meiser and West Coast casting Guru Mike Kenney were fishing together for Steelhead. Bob had a new short rod he wanted Mike to try out. Bob said "Let's Switch" and a new concept was born. Their collaboration with Temple Fork is proof of what two experts in their own right can achieve.
www.TheFlySpokeShop.com
Co-Founder Creative Fly Tiers Association
Member Merrimack Valley Trout Unlimited
Founding Member Souhegan Valley Fly Association
Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySpoke View Post
Most people think of a switch rod as one that will cast single or double handed, but that is not how they got their name.
Despite where the name of the rod came from, isn't this what they are designed to do? I mean, be able to cast with either one hand or two, right? Is anyone really casting these with a single hand?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Thanks, I understand now.
They seem like a nice style of rod. I like long rods and an 11' 4wt which I could two-hand sounds ideal.