December 13, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySpoke View Post
Of course the selling point of the rod is that you can cast with one or two hands, but the only time you will is when you are nymphing with indicator and weight or dry fly Atlantic Salmon.
According to Bob Meiser's website, these rods were created so you wouldn't have to use a single hand cast, so I don't see how this could be the selling point. Seems to me that these are just short spey rods.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
According to Bob Meiser's website, these rods were created so you wouldn't have to use a single hand cast, so I don't see how this could be the selling point. Seems to me that these are just short spey rods.
You are 100% correct. Robert first made these rods in 9.5 foot to 10.5 foot length in two piece. They were first made for East Coast Striped Bass fishing right here in Massachusetts. They were designed for two hand overhead casting from boats.

Then, they became two hand short steelhead rods when Robert met with his good friends for a day fishing. His friends had single hand rods with them and the switching of the short two hand rod between them as they fished. They ended the day calling it a switch rod. This was in 1978 or 79 and the concept of using the rod with one or two hands came way later.

We on the east coast, having now the understanding of the advantages that dead drifting with indicator represents have been purchasing switch rods to take to the Salmon River and now for trout. Six years ago when I first started using my 5 weight 2 hand IM6 composite rod for trout and LL Salmon, you know you have seen me with it, I was the only person I saw until two years ago when I ran into Taylor, at that time, from SRO with a Beulah 5 weight he was swinging for trout with their Elixor Scandi line with tips. This year, I have seen a number of these short two hand rods on the rivers as the idea gains popularity. People are also starting to understand that the main
advantage of the longer single or two hand rod is line control and not distance.

As I am teaching two hand, the main interest is in using switch rods over longer two hand and salmon rods. Like I said I do use them with one hand when nymphing. Not when I want distance but when I fish close at hand. I like a switch that is not at the outer reaches in length as well. Single and two hand dry fly for Atlantic salmon is a blast and lets me cover far more water faster than I did with a single hand rod. No back cast needed when making switch and Belgian style casts.

It's a selling point because most people think that is what you are supposed to do with them and buy into the concept. If there is one item that has saved the rod industry the past two years it is the switch.
www.TheFlySpokeShop.com
Co-Founder Creative Fly Tiers Association
Member Merrimack Valley Trout Unlimited
Founding Member Souhegan Valley Fly Association