October 23, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM

Default Tying Hooks

Hey Folks,

For the past two years i have been buy all of my hooks either from local shops or from hookhack.com. To buy a big lot of hooks at a local shop is expensive so i would buy the hookhack brand hooks. They seemed to work well, fished well, and were relatively inexpensive.
My question to you is what is the best bang for your buck on hooks. Where, what brands, websites, etc. I am on a really tight budget right now and i am dying to tie! (Almost out of hooks totally)

Thanks guys!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 PM

I am in the same fiancial catagory as you and also use H&H hooks. It will be interesting to see if someone has a better source of reasonable quality hooks.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM

I was using tiemco hooks which are around 5/6 dollars for 20, and they're great hooks but pricey. I just ordered 5 different style mustad hooks from stone river outfitters at 7 dollars for 50 hooks.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Thats pretty good too. The same as H&H's Mustads at regular price. Some are on sale now for $6.29
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM

Been using flyshack.com $7/100
http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=640
free shipping over $35
I've no complaints
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Capt.Dan

I like tiemco hooks, and i tie almost all of my flies on them. Are they more money yes, but when the fly gets destoyed by fish I just take them back to the vise, and take a razor blade to them and re-tie on them. My next option would be mustad, I've tied many of flies on mustad hooks and like them as well. Best bang for your buck I think would be 50 mustads for $7. Just my 2cents
Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 AM

Try giving Daiichi's a look. They come in 25 packs for an average of $5.50 for most.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 AM

Mustad formerly sold fly tying hooks in boxes of 100. I notice on ebay a price of $6.99 for 200 Mustad model 38932 #12 down-turned eye.

In buying old hooks you are getting a serviceable hook but without the easy-to-crimp micro-barbs and chemical-sharpened points. I always mash the barb and test each old Mustad for brittleness before tying. I should also sharpen each hook, but I never do. I don't even carry a hook sharpener with me when fishing, though I wish I did, often. (Boy am I lazy!)
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Check amazon.com- especially if you have a prime account.
Every once in a while-the hook priced drop there. I have been able to get 100 packs of mustad's, tiemco's, and daichi's pretty cheap.
Also keep an eye on sierra trading post. They have deals on hooks all the time, but shipping makes it cost prohibitive. I piggy backed my hook/fly purchase there on a purchase of a couple pairs of shoes/boots to get free shipping.
-Eric
Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 PM

OverMyWaders, how do you check for brittleness ?
Most of my hooks are Mustards that I stocked up on way back when I had better eyes and hands and tied more. I always crush the barb, sharpen, and do the "ping" test when I get it in the vise. I think that tests for softness. How do you test for to brittle w/o bending?