December 18, 2018

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2010, 06:15 PM

Default closed season?

why does NH have a closed season for trout? there is very little if any natural reproduction in the state (other than small streams up north and a few in Hollis, NH). Why the closed season? what are they trying to protect? if there were wild fish i could see the point. other than that why can't we fish all year long in every river?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM

ooohhh boy....here we go again!!!

Square-Tail Anglers Guide Service

UNH '10
Old 08-22-2010, 08:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to skilly
Default Closed season

UPS,
I agree!!!! F&G proposed ( extended season) a couple of years ago and went nowhere. Tough thread that has been hashed over many times. And a lot of the objections , to my understaning, came from the Guides in the Northern part of the state. I am sure I will get a lot of comments on this. But help me Otter!!!!!
Skilly
Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 PM

Default rest

can see giving the holdovers a rest and all, but they let bass fisherman bother the lakers when they r reproducing, and that is a natural fish to the area, not like the smallmouth they brought in. I have seen them in 3 " of water in the fall and bass guys killing em with treble hooks. do not look to fg for any real logic in there actions.

Last edited by salparidise; 08-22-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:56 PM

I swear we're getting into the February playbook a little early!!!!!!! Let's hope this rain gets us all out fishing this fall!!!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to natefish

1. There is natural reproduction that occurs and these fish need all the help that they can get.
2. Fish and game spends a lot of time dealing with hunters in the fall and they would be strapped too thin to try and manage both hunting and fishing at the same time.
3. There are plenty of places to fish for trout late season if you really can't resist.
4. There are more important things to be concerned about, like getting more wild fish.

I'm done.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM

UPS, drive out to the seacoast this fall/winter when you get the itch for some fly fishing after the official season has closed.

Several rivers (Lamprey, Cocheco, Isinglass, Salmon Falls and sometimes the Exeter) receive late fall stockings to promote a winter fishery. Fishing is usually good from mid-October through mid-January when shelf ice sets up limiting access (sometimes later during mild winters).

Consider supporting Three Rivers Stocking, as well, a private group that funds the lions share of the winter stocking. I'm pretty sure they have a fundraiser coming up.

(Wild fish are great and should hold precedence where appropriate, but these rivers have no natural reproduction to speak of.)
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM

many trout ponds around state open all year with no restrictions to season dates and many nice trout can be caught . Look up info on F&G web site many places to fish all year long. plus Jan. comes pretty quick. only 2 months.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 PM

Default 2 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyz420 View Post
many trout ponds around state open all year with no restrictions to season dates and many nice trout can be caught . Look up info on F&G web site many places to fish all year long. plus Jan. comes pretty quick. only 2 months.
Are we skipping Sept & Oct or Nov & Dec? In either case, the football fans are going to be upset.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 AM

LOL not skipping any months its only closed from Oct 15th to Jan 1st for rivers and streams in NH Its only 2 months a little over to take a break. never has bothered me cause i Hunt. Fishing stuff goes away. Then Jan. Ice fishing so Pretty much flyfishing done for me Mid September.... really can't remeber the last time i Flyfished after sept 15th....