November 22, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 09-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Default Big Fish, Small Pond

Went to a local pond near my fiance's parent's house. It's maybe 50x200 feet and of unknown depth. I have fly fished it numerous times, but haven't had too much luck, as it has steep banks that don't really permit a back cast.

Went back with my spin gear and got this guy 3rd cast. The rest of the bass I caught were dinks. Probably needs to be culled a bit to get some larger fish, but they are in there!

Old 09-03-2015, 03:56 PM

Default Bass

Very nice.

Those small ponds can hold some really big fish.

― Ernest Hemingway
Old 09-03-2015, 04:07 PM

I agree, the pond probably needs to be culled. Theres a private farm pond I fish via float tube and its loaded with bass, some monsters too, but the average bass was about 12" so the landowner and I began removing the 12" fish and now, a year later the average is up around 1.5 pounds. Its a common issue with both small ponds and ponds that don't get much pressure.

But as plecain mentioned; those small ponds can and usually do hold some lunkers....

Oh, and nice fish
Old 09-03-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo View Post
I agree, the pond probably needs to be culled. Theres a private farm pond I fish via float tube and its loaded with bass, some monsters too, but the average bass was about 12" so the landowner and I began removing the 12" fish and now, a year later the average is up around 1.5 pounds. Its a common issue with both small ponds and ponds that don't get much pressure.

But as plecain mentioned; those small ponds can and usually do hold some lunkers....

Oh, and nice fish
By "removing" the fish, are you taking them home to eat? Fertilizer?

The two options I see for helping the bigger fish along involve taking some of the smaller fish as you mentioned, or go fishing with some baitfish and "lose" a few to the pond...

So far, the only fish in this pond are the largemouths. No shiners, sunnies, dace, etc. Someone put these fish in, but from visiting there once or twice a week, I can see no signs that anyone else is fishing for them anymore. The only food for the larger bass is smaller bass, leeches, and the odd frog, though, there is no cover in the pond, so those tend to stay far away from where the bass hang in the middle.

I dunno. I guess I can pull some of the smaller bass out this fall and see how it reflects on the larger fish for next year. They are spawning, as I saw multiple beds this summer.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 PM

I knew that question was gonna come up... The fish that we removed where either taken home to eat (I don't like fish but my grandfather loves bass, so that made him happy) or used as fertilizer, the landowner is a farmer with many gardens and he utilized them in his gardens.

There needs to be some type of predator to keep the Bass population in check or else they will over populate and become stunted in a sense. You say there's no cover, Bass need cover, they wont do well without it either. That's another problem that the landowner and I solved at his pond, there wasn't much structure, so we made brush piles along the edge, dropped limbs and timber in along the shore, added rocks and gravel and he claims he even added close to 1,000 crayfish.

As long as there is good insect activity in the pond the bass will be eating good. I cant count the number of bass I've caught with mouthfuls of nymphs or more commonly; scuds. If there's a lot of dragonfly activity at the pond and the bass are rising after them then you don't want to be without a dragonfly pattern. Bass love dragonflies!

The only other fish in the pond are crappie, which averaged at about 14", bigger than the average bass and tons of them too, so those fish were also removed, so now the crappie population is in check, they are only eating the young bass to a point where they are controlling the population while the larger bass are eating the smaller crappie and in turn keeping that population in check.

So far its worked well and the landowner (who is quite old now) has made an offer to sell me the property with the pond on it.

Last edited by flyfish_tfo; 09-03-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:07 PM

Well, I can't exactly add structure as it would impede the current use if the pond, though these fish have been in here for 5 years or so best I can tell.

I'll keep you posted via PM as to any changes. Thanks for the insight!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:39 AM

If it were me I'd trap some native shiners somewhere and lose them as you said...legality aside if it truly helps the fish I say go for it, use natives so that its proper and what the heck. Biodiveristy is incredibly important for a whole host of different reasons. Prime example being the crappies/bass relationship mentioned above.