November 20, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > Conservation Section > Conservation Issues

Old 09-19-2015, 07:10 PM

Default Traveling to D.C. for clean water!

I'm proud to be the New Hampshire representative of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers as we send a dozen members from all over the country to Washtington D.C. at the end of this month to speak on behalf of the Land and Water Conservation Fund.

http://lwcfcoalition.org/

I'm glad our Senator Kelly Ayotte is backing the continuation of this valuable legislation. It should be an interesting trip, I'll get to meet some of my fellow BHA members from across the country and rub elbows with some Washington politicians. Wish me luck!
Old 09-20-2015, 01:46 AM

Glad to see that the FFNH forum will be represented - give 'em hell, and good luck!
Old 09-20-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgurke View Post
Glad to see that the FFNH forum will be represented - give 'em hell, and good luck!

Thanks, will give a full report when I get back.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:34 AM

That's awesome, good luck!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:13 PM

Well, I'm back from D.C. Saw how "the sausage is made" - it was very interesting and not too pretty at times.

Met with a Shaheen staffer and with Senator Ayotte and her staff. Both Shaheen and Ayotte are on board with LWCF but unfortunately, thanks largely to the objection of two House Republicans, the bill to continue to fund LWCF didn't pass. Senator Ayotte brought it up again today on the floor of the Senate - asking for unanimous consent to revote the bill. Upon the Speaker's inquiry as to anyone objecting, Senator Mike Lee (R) of Utah stood and objected. So . . . it looks like the only thing left to hang on to is the hope that - since the Govt. shutdown was averted at the 11th hour - there is still a chance to bring up LWCF again as an attachment to other bills, such as the highway bill. The sense I got was that it's mostly Congressional Republicans who are against LWCF. There are many in that group who are staunchly against government ownership of . . . well, just about anything. And the memory last year's standoff between rancher Cliven Bundy and federal agents still sticks in their collective craw.

Kudos to NH Senators Shaheen and Ayotte. Especially to Senator Ayotte who has shown great courage and independent thinking in my opinion by being such a stalwart supporter in the face of pushback from those in her own party. And no, I'm not just saying that because I'm expecting my autographed photo of myself and Senator Ayotte that her photographer took yesterday to come in the mail soon!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:30 PM

It's too bad that some Republicans don't seem to remember that Teddy Roosevelt was one of the first conservationists.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgurke View Post
It's too bad that some Republicans don't seem to remember that Teddy Roosevelt was one of the first conservationists.
Agreed. But don't look now . . . the Concord Monitor got ahold of me for an interview!
https://politics.concordmonitor.com/...nding-program/