November 18, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > Conservation Section > Conservation Issues

Old 03-14-2016, 01:28 PM

Default Salters

Here I go again...

As some of you may know I've got an unnatural love with the idea of salters...big silvery brookies cruising coastal streams...wonderful.

I'm working on some independent research for the sea-run brook trout coalition and looking for some help from anyone/everyone. I'm trying to gather information on where salters are and where they have been. With this I hope to eventually develop a management or restoration plan of some kind. I know there are brook trout in some coastal streams in NH (i've witnessed 1 stream) but how many others are there? How many were there?

While I fully believe the statement "If we don't name it, we can't save it" the open internet might not be best yet so please PM me any suggestions unless you know the fish are extirpated.

I appreciate anything anyone can offer me. Together, one day we can bring this iconic species back into NH!
Old 03-14-2016, 02:22 PM

Smile

Please make sure you pm me their location and preferred tides and flies. ��
Old 03-14-2016, 09:10 PM

The Exeter River dam in downtown Exeter will be coming down - not sure when - I would think that this river has real potential as it will result in miles of brackish / fresh water.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:12 PM

That's a huge hope for us. The squamscott is where ive been wanting to focus the search. Seems like some of the more likely water.

Any idea if the exeter/squamscott historically had any? I suspect yes but that's not based off of evidence.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:00 AM

I have lived in the Exeter area for 60 years and have never seen or heard any reports or rumors about salters . I can tell you that when we used to fish the river for smelt -before that fishery collapsed - we would hear about trout being caught. We always thought they were fish from the stocking above the dam -but they were surviving so who knows.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:04 AM

It's too bad about the smelt crash...they're wondeful food for trout and other fish. I've never had them myself but I'm sure they're good. I don't know if it was proven but i was told when the juvenile herring enter the trout streams, brook trout feasting on them were shown to grow almost an inch in month. Imagine how big they'd get in a year with a strong herring run, then a strong eel run, then a strong smelt run...
Old 03-15-2016, 12:24 PM

Berry's Brook used to have salters until the state started the sea run brown program, also a few other coastal streams like Little River in North Hampton used to have a salter population as well.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo View Post
Berry's Brook used to have salters until the state started the sea run brown program, also a few other coastal streams like Little River in North Hampton used to have a salter population as well.
Good to know. Thank you very much. I've been meaning to check out berrys brook more. I've only been in the area immediately around bracket rd. I spent an hour at low tide once casting size 22 midges to mummichogs haha
Old 03-15-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfish_tfo View Post
Good to know. Thank you very much. I've been meaning to check out berrys brook more. I've only been in the area immediately around bracket rd. I spent an hour at low tide once casting size 22 midges to mummichogs haha
Old 03-15-2016, 07:10 PM

That was way back, though. I doubt many, if any are still around.