November 18, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 05-30-2016, 02:30 PM

Default All Good Things . . .

. . . must come to an end, I guess. I've been using a basic White River Fly Shop folding aluminum wading staff for the past 5 or 6 years. The thing has been bullet-proof, with a suprisingly rugged shock cord and a carbide steel tip, even if it's a bit heavy. Saturday while netting a fish in some stream-side boulders I knelt on the staff and bent it. Of course when I tried to straighten it at home, it snapped. I'm not enough of a gear snob to spring for light-weight carbon fiber and I can just hang the "tank" from a caribiner on my wader belt, so I bought an identical replacement staff for a paltry $35 from Bass Pro Shops. I'm thinking of getting a heavy-duty Gear Keeper retractor for it like I have for my net, and get rid of the emergency tether I've been using.

I never go anywhere on a river without a staff, even if I don't particularly need it most of the time. I'm curious what your experience has been with wading staffs: what brands, materials, and designs have you tried? What works and what doesn't? My brother uses a telescoping carbon hiking staff with a cork "J" handle, but I don't trust them not to slip at the worst possible moment.

Last edited by Dub; 05-30-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:15 PM

Default Staff

I have the Simms aluminum one, not the carbon variant.

I don't use it as much as I probably should, but it works well when I do use it. It unfolds and locks quickly and easily. Folding it up is also easy. The holder and retractor that come with it make it easy to stow and not get lost.

It's a little pricey, but I've never had a problem with it.

― Ernest Hemingway
Old 05-30-2016, 04:36 PM

I went the eco-friendly self-sustaining route...

I have a beaver stick with a rope attached that I use when I know the water is deep, dark and unfamiliar.

Ah who am I kidding, I use a beaver stick cause its free

https://www.instagram.com/swamptroutnh
Old 05-30-2016, 06:54 PM

I use the same White River staff. The elastic inside came off the carbide tip, and I had to tie it back on. Other than that, it's been great. I use it as much out of the water as I do in. It's great for hiking into and up the streams. The tip sticks to slippery rocks like glue.

I do occasionally get my stripped in fly line wrapped around it while it's floating in the current, tethered to my wading belt. The heavy duty retractor idea sounds great, but I'm not sure if the pull of the retractor would be too much when actively using it.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:20 PM

Been using the same White River staff for a couple of seasons now very happy with it. I use it ALWAYS whether shallow or deep familiar or unfamiliar water when I walk in the stream it's in my hand. At my age balance isn't what it use to be. Can't see spending the money on a top end staff like Simm's rather put that money into a new rod or reel.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:14 PM

I got in trouble Saturday because I was letting it dangle in the current on its tether and forgot about it. The holster came apart a while ago, so now when the staff is folded I keep it together with a strong rubber band and hang it on my belt carabiner. I just slide the band off onto my wrist (where it stays until I need it again) and shake the staff open. The retractor I bought for my net seems to have a good reach to it since I wear the net on my back and can pull it well out in front when needed. I think I'll experiment by switching the retractor to the staff to test it. I'll post what I find out.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 AM

After a scary fall on the Salmon River years ago, my wife bought for me a Simms staff which I carry with me every time out. I've actually sent it back to Simms once about 3-4 years ago because of an issue and the sent back a brand new one. Great service and a great product.

Yes, Simms staffs are pricey, as are Folstaff and other brands, but I find a "beaver stick" or ski pole to cumbersome to drag around, personally.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 05-31-2016, 04:45 PM

My balance went south with age. I use a Folstaff every time I go to the stream. I've probably had it for ten years. Mine is the single shock-cord model. The stouter, double-cord model is probably better, IMO, because my staff can get stuck in mud and will pull apart when I'm trying to free it.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:25 PM

Smile hallo..

hello everyone (sedekah kurban), I'm a new member here, please guidance ya .. thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave O

I took a couple of nasty falls in a boulder strewn stream while fishing. One fall resulted in a mild sprained hand. I agonized over good fishing staffs and concluded that I should get the Simms aluminum collapsible staff. The extra money was worth it as it does not get in my way when not needed, so that makes me bring it along and use it when I do need it. My balance is not so great anymore. I hear that bones get brittle with age. I am glad I got it, and I use it often.