November 19, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 11-20-2016, 04:06 PM

Default inflatable pontoon boat

As I age ungracefully I find loading my 70 pound kayak on the roof is more and more of a task. I can only imagine the damage I would do loading it onto an 11' tall camper. So I was thinking of an inflatable.
Originally I was thinking about a 2 person so my wife could join me but after looking at the prices I think maybe a single with a platform for my dog might be a better option. Does anyone have a favorite brand or model?

All opinions welcome
Thanks
Dave
Old 11-21-2016, 12:17 PM

I currently own a Scadden Skykomish Sunrise (purchased used from the admin of this site in fact). It's great, and I don't really have any complaints. I usually cartop the frame and then at the river inflate the pontoons. So transporting it is pretty easy.

However, I'm actually in the process of saving for a two-person raft. I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices:

1. Dave Scadden Dragonfly:
http://www.davescaddenpaddlesports.c...agonfly-series

I'm specifically looking at the XT2F or XTC2F. Both are pricey, but there are lower cost ones without frames (fully inflatable). During some of my research, I've found a bit of complaining about Scadden's boats, specifically if you ever need any kind of warranty work. But I am a happy owner of the pontoon boat (although I've never had any problems). Another complaint about Scaddens is that they are overpriced for what they are.

2. Flycraft Stealth:
http://www.flycraftusa.com/

More expensive, and a new company. I'm intrigued by this boat because from what I can tell it might be a little more efficient to paddle if that ever comes up. but the extra $1k or so in price is likely a deal killer. It was first on my list for a while before I took another look at the Scadden boats.

There are a couple more makes and models out there for 2-person inflatables. I think Outcast makes one. I've lurked a ton on this Washington state forum where a lot of talk is about inflatables:
http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/...watercraft.26/

I'm pretty sure Scadden will have a booth at the Marlborough flyfishing show, and both companies will be at the Somerset NJ show. In fact, Scadden offered me a really good price on the XTC2F when I asked if he was going to be at either show.

One final note... I mentioned I'm saving for a raft, part of my plan is to sell the pontoon boat to help pay for the new boat. If a used pontoon interests you, send me an IM and we can chat.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:50 PM

Hextall,

Scadden is running a 70% of sale on 2016 models. You may find now is a great time to buy. I just spent an embarrassing amount on my Corvette a few weeks ago so my slush fund is low other wise I think scadden would have my $ already. Let me know when your ready to sell and I may well be interested. Thanks for the reply
Dave
Old 11-22-2016, 09:43 AM

That 70% is pretty much made up... Scadden is one of those vendors who have a "sale" continually. However, some of their boats are a couple hundred off right now, but from what I've read he'll make it up in really high tax and shipping costs.

I still have their boats at the top of my wish list, but their "sales" are not really sales.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:35 PM

Check out the Thule Hullivator. Won't help getting it on the camper but a great option to get kayaks up on the vehicle.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:52 PM

hextall good to know I was feeling pressured. Let me know when your ready to sell.

Thanks fish dude I'm trying to convince myself I don't need a new truck with an 8' bed