November 20, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 01-09-2017, 12:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave O
Default Lamson Litespeed IV Question

I have a cheapy fly reel that has seen better days. I fell on it in a rocky stream last summer, and did a number on it. It still works, but only as a line receptacle & dispenser. So I was studying all sorts of fly reels to replace it, and ended up buying a Lamson Litespeed IV in the 3-4-5 weight size. It did well in some on line reviews. I was anticipating 2 weeks on the Bitterroot in Montana this coming June, so I needed something better. I saw some good prices on the Lamson as well as the Orvis Mirage. I chose the Lamson as it was American made (not China) and had a better fit and finish.
Since ordering the Lamson, I came across another review that cautioned that the Litespeed was quite fragile and would not stand up to much in the way of dropping etc. Did I make a big mistake? I am looking for comments from Lamson Litespeed IV users on its' durability. I am not a klutz, but, at 72 years old, am not in line for a position on the local ballet squad. Not sure of the alloy used. Hype in the ads always mentions aircraft aluminum or aerospace etc. I wonder what they use. 6061-T6 is pretty strong, but 7075 is much better and harder.

Last edited by Dave O; 01-09-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:04 PM

Default Lamson a good choice.

Machined reels are made with a frame or frameless. A reel with a frame is inherently stiffer and stronger and is less likely to get out of shape under stress. The trade off is more weight. Lamson makes great reels of both types with amazing drags. I recently purchased a lamson Remix HD (with frame) for a Silver salmon trip and was very pleased. I also have several Orvis reels with frames that have performed well for me even after being dropped.
The toughest reels of all are the solid side plate reels like the Orvis DXR. These are the heaviest reels but bullet proof. They have fallen out of favor because demand for lighter reels to match up with our rods. The exception being the high end custom reels like Bogdan reels that cost thousands not hundreds. They never go out of favor.
Dropping reels of any type on pavement or rocks regardless of the brand or cost is problematic at best. Dropping just the spool can even cause alignment problems.
Enjoy your reel because it's a good choice. Forget the online trolls (some get paid to post negative reviews). You have purchased a great reel. That drag is butter smooth!

Last edited by bridgeman; 01-09-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:57 PM

I have had more issues with the framed reels.. I find the slight bump can create a catch in the bevel, and it rendered mine useless.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave O

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I should be careful not to fall on the reel in the first place. My problem is that I still think that I am 25 years old but my body always reminds me that I am pushing 72 years. Scrambling over boulders is not a young man's sport.
The reel should arrive today and I will be checking out some matching line to load onto the reel. I found a very nice overview with comments on a large number of fly lines. It even displayed actual measured tapers for each line so you don't have to guess which line will work best with my collection of rods.

http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blo...w-buyers-guide

When the ice starts melting, I should be ready to go!! Thanks for the help.