November 23, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 AM

Default 1st Post! Lincoln Area

Morning Fly Folks,

1st Post! New to this site. Still new to fly fishing (only a couple years under my belt).

A little about me- My name is Josh, I am from MA (yes, a flatlander) but trust me, I love fishing. I am always traveling around New England looking for new spots. Now that I have a newborn daughter, the trips are less often. So when I get the chance, I try and make the best of it.

I am looking for a little help. **Not Secret Spots** Ill be staying in the Lincoln area first weekend in April, (probably not ideal time of year). I'm looking to get tight on any fish. Just to get back in the swing of things this year. My original plan was to hike into the Lincoln woods trail up along the East Pemi. I would really love to catch a few Native Brookies. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I will also extend the invite. April 1, 2017 Ill be fishing early morning. If anyone wants to join.

Of course this is all dependent on weather/snow/conditions in general.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:34 PM

Hey FlyRowe!

First up, welcome to the forum. Second, with the winter we've had your likely to run into 3-4 feet of snowpack, lots of ice and bone chilling water in the Lincoln woods on april 1st. If your looking for some reliable action I would consider targeting the lower reaches of the state and parts of the lake region. There are plenty of spots to target natives outside of the whites in the early spring, either way its going to be tough fishing. But sometimes…well its fun to get out so you can do whatever you wanna do!

Right all the lakes up here are still frozen up with 15 + inches of solid ice right up to the edges. Lots of us are still ice fishing Lots of shelf ice in the local rivers and streams right now as well, dangerous stuff so be careful. The extended forecast still says lots of cold incoming.

https://www.instagram.com/swamptroutnh
Old 03-22-2017, 07:32 AM

Redneck_Flashaboo,
Thanks for the reply. I was getting unsure if I was going to get any response, ya know, being from MA and all.

I was getting nervous about the conditions, especially after that last storm we had. It looks like this will be more of a scouting mission....Or maybe dig out my ice gear that I've already put away for the warmer months. Either way, I am sure ill be asking more questions down the line about quick trips to NH to get into some natives.

I must say, you got some pretty awesome pics on your Instagram.

Thanks for your Help!
-FlyRowe
Old 03-22-2017, 09:15 AM

Salutations Flyrowe!

I think it's great you are here and posting. Don't be put off by the lack of a warm welcome

There's plenty of people here they are just very spartan with their contributions so when they do respond, it's deliberate and concise. New Englanders are a hard people not renown for their hospitality except when it really counts.

Mass is a beautiful State. Feel free to message me and I'll happily share a few recommendations. That being said, the best fishing is spring and fall unless we get regular rain or you can trek to northern Maine. Take your baby with you when she gets a year out. She will love it I'm sure.

Congratulations on your new baby girl! Best thing that ever happened to me

Cheers,
Cree
Old 03-22-2017, 09:27 PM

If you are intent on fly fishing I think you will be hard pressed to find anything unless you fish winni by some docks for salmon
Old 03-23-2017, 03:43 AM

Welcome to the board!

I've had much better luck with natives on the Pemi (including many of the tribs) heading up into Franconia notch, rather than the East Branch, where there are have been pretty slim pickings (at least for me). Though I usually don't hit the Whites for natives until after the 4th of July, when its warmed up a bit in the higher elevations and the trout are looking up - from then through October is prime time. Best bet up there is probably main stem of the Pemi, though as others noted it is probably pretty dangerous with shelf ice at this time.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:32 AM

Wow, Thanks for all the replies!

You guys have been a big help. Granted it may not be what I wanted to hear. But maybe its what I needed to hear.

I am just very anxious to get on a river up north.

I look forward to getting to know all of you a little better throughout the season. Heck, maybe Ill see some of you around.

Thanks,
FlyRowe
Old 03-23-2017, 10:32 AM

I'm also from MA and fish periodically in NH. Welcome to this forum. This is a great group from whom you will glean much. Let us know of your adventures. Tightlines. Bob

Tags
east pemi, lincoln, white mountains