November 20, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 05-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Default Waders and Wading Boots

Hi all, looking for suggestions on new waders and wading boots. My budget is about $400.00, I currently have Caddis wading boots that I have had to repair three times, and Field and Stream Waders,it is time for an upgrade. I am looking for comfort and durability in both, and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Old 05-29-2017, 05:52 PM

For the money and warranty; LL Bean.

Other than that simms, simms, simms.

Dan Bailey is good for the price too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Kretschmar View Post
Hi all, looking for suggestions on new waders and wading boots. My budget is about $400.00, I currently have Caddis wading boots that I have had to repair three times, and Field and Stream Waders,it is time for an upgrade. I am looking for comfort and durability in both, and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 PM

Default X2 for LL Bean

Best value for the warranty.

HW
Old 05-29-2017, 11:18 PM

Default LL Bean Waders and Boots

Never even thought about LL Bean. Checked their site and now see I should have. Thanks for the info! Simms was one I was looking at, along with Orvis and Cabelas, but I have to admit, LL Bean now has my attention thanks to your advice.

Thanks again,
David
Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 PM

I'm waiting on a backordered pair of Simms waders but just got a pair of Korker Buckskins wading boots which are on sale at Backcountry.com. Very nice boots! I got the rubber & studded rubber soles. Can't wait to try them out.

https://www.backcountry.com/korkers-...oxOkJ1Y2tza2lu
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 06-01-2017, 08:14 PM

I'll echo the LL Bean refrain for waders. Check out the outlet stores. If you're lucky you can score some incredible deals.

I like Orvis for boots.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:46 AM

Piling onto this thread... my simms finally sprung a leak (after 10 years... money well spent). My plan is to get another pair of Simms (although I've heard good things about the most recent iteration of Patagonia's waders), but I'm also saving for a raft***. So I'm thinking of getting a relatively inexpensive pair of waders to last me through this year and maybe next, use them up and then get Simms/Patagonia. Budget is less than $200.

I've narrowed that down to the Orvis Encounter or LL Bean Emerger. I'm leaning Orvis, but mainly because they are advertising a $25 coupon (not sure yet if it even applies).

Any opinions between these two? Any other brands to think about? I'm hoping to pull the trigger soon.

I'm saving for the raft that was at the Marlborough show from Stealthcraft.
http://www.stealthcraftboats.com/?page_id=1108
Old 06-05-2017, 05:11 PM

Default Waders and Boots

I have Simms...love them !

I have Patagonia...love them !

They each have their place....the Patagonia waders don't seem to "breathe" as well as my Simms but the suspension system where I can lower the waders to waist high make them a really good option...

Neither have leaked but I do get more condensation in the Patagonia waders due to the breathability...

Can't speak to any other brand.

As for boots I have had multiple foot surgeries and a ruptured achilles....so boots are really important to me....I have many pair...and no I'm not rich....

Closest I have come to a go to boot is the Simms vapor....light enough for rock hopping and hiking....yet sturdy enough for bigger water and river fishing....I have rubber sole and the aluminum studs...

Patagonia always reduces prices on last year products....look at Patagonia website for web specials....try backcountry.com....etc...Simms very rarely on sale...

Hope that helps !

Kent
Old 06-07-2017, 07:14 PM

I only buy LL Bean waders and boots due to their guarantee. Their boots are excellent and hold up very well. I have traded in two pairs of waders due to leaks upgrading each time. Not sure if the others have such a warentee. My waders and boots get used 11 months of the year between fishing and hunting. The waders are comfortable and well thought out. The boots are rugged and hold up to hiking on various terrain. It helps that they are a "local" company as well.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Gerry
Default waders

I have Simms, Patagonia, Bean, Redington, Caddis, Frog Toggs and a couple mongrel brands. I have never had a pair of Beans Emergers that didn't leak after one season, usually at the neoprene to breathable joining spot. You can probably get a pair to last for two years with Aquaseal patching, or just bring them back. I agree about Patagonia about the drop-down top, but the suspenders that are permanently connected is a PITHA. I believe ALL waders except Simms are made in China, so the local motivation is not a whole lot stronger for Beans. I often find good deals on Sierra Trading post, as well as the Bean Outlet stores. If you keep the receipt anything you buy there appears to be under the Bean warranty. Also bought some from Amazon when I needed them ASAP for a low price. The Simms are the most comfortable (their fitted bootie is much more comfortable than some other brands) and they wear like iron, but they also will develop leaks. For about $40 they will recondition an old pair with new booties, tape and seal all seams and repair pinholes and apply new waterproofing (Revivex, which you can also buy and apply yourself to any Goretex gear.)
Good luck