November 24, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Fly Tying

Old 08-28-2017, 04:15 PM

Default New to the Sport of tying

Good Afternoon All,

I've been hooked to fly fishing. Always wanted to get into the game of tying my own flies, and I just received some old fly tying material from a friend at work. He said they are at least 10 years old.

My question is, is this material still good? Does age of material even matter when it comes to this?

There is a slight musty smell to the box as a whole (old tackle box). Not sure if this also plays a factor.

Any info on this will be helpful.

Thanks!
-FlyRowe
Old 08-28-2017, 08:28 PM

FWIW, feathers do not fade in color, even after fifty years; so that is not an issue.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:15 AM

Age of materials isn't really an issue. So long as it's been kept dry and there's no mildew or rot. If it's just a musty smell then air it out and it'll be fine to use. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:48 AM

Great news!
Thanks for the responses. Looks like ill be attempting my first fly rather shortly. Ill be sure to let you all know how it goes.

Thanks,
FlyRowe
Old 08-29-2017, 06:14 PM

As others have said, no real concern about age...

Recommend that your first fly is the "Mickey Finn" bucktail streamer - if you have those supplies. If you don't have all, and if you have some, start with any form of bucktail/hairwing streamer. Always a good starting point.

Once you hook a fish on the fly you've created, then you're really hooked!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:40 AM

While the Mickey Finn is a good streamer, tying with bucktail and getting decent heads on bucktail streamers takes some time to become proficient at. Instead, I'd suggest starting with some simple woolley buggers. Pretty easy to tie, catch every type of fish and you really can't fish them wrong.

If there's a material or two that you don't have and need to get started shoot me a private message and I'll be happy to send you some of my seemingly never-ending stash if you send me a stamped envelope to put it in.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:53 PM

Agree with Woolley buggers. They teach 4 key skills and catch fish.

Definatley use the materials you were given, they dont go bad and until you have a plan, don't go spending tons of money.

Buy a book or take a class. For just dive into the flies you want to fish, start simple and learn the basic skills that you will use going forward.

Tell us what is in the box and we can suggest some starting patterns to cut your teeth on b