November 18, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 AM

Default Ross, Abel, or Tibor?

So, I've been researching my next fly rod all winter. Saved all my pennies since late spring last year. I started a post about 5wt vs 6wt a while back...and despite the general consensus, will be going with a 5wt.

Choosing a rod has been a major endeavor...so I've taken time off quite frequently to work out the reel I'd like to go with it.

I've narrowed my search down to four reels. The Abel Creek 2 Large arbor, the Abel Super 4n Large Arbor, the Tibor Light Tail Water CL, or the Ross Evolution LT #2.

Now, from a practical standpoint, it'll be hard to beat the Ross. I already have an Evolution LT #1 on my 4wt. It has treated me very well, and the price is the lowest of the group.

I'm fascinated with the Abel reels. I have a Trout Series Light on my 2wt...and despite the fact that the tippet gets caught between the spool and frame when the line is all wound in...it's damn pretty. The Creek, which I'm considering, is great looking. The weight is comparable to the Ross...but it doesn't have an externally adjustable drag. Do you think this would be maddening on a 5wt? I've yet to use the drag on a fly reel...but I can dream, can't I?

The Abel Super4n has good capacity, a fair weight...and is by far the most expensive of the bunch. You have to use a nickel or something to remove the spool...and I do plan to keep a floating and a sink line for this rod. As I wouldn't change back and forth on the same trip often, I'm not sure it'd be a deal breaker. The quick release version is too heavy and even more expensive.

The Tibor reel catches my eye because...well...it is a Tibor. The weight is ok, capacity is a bit better than the Ross. I'm not very familiar with this reel...but some enthusiastic feedback could bring me to look at it more seriously.

Well...any feedback would be great. And feel free to flame away if any of these choices just rub you the wrong way for some reason. (And no, JEGIV, I'm not spending big money on a Made in Asia Hardy. :P )

Thanks,
Brian
aka Magsdad
Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Default All Good

All the reels you list are great , I have a Ross and a Tibor and have no complaints, I like Bauer's as well and use them for all my fresh water work.
The Bears den show FEB 19 will have all the high end reels out to play with and it is Free, it is worth the ride.

http://www.bearsden.com/page894.html
Old 02-08-2011, 04:27 PM

[quote=BPG;47067] (And no, JEGIV, I'm not spending big money on a Made in Asia Hardy. :P )

The Perfect is still made in England
Old 02-08-2011, 06:32 PM

In my humble opinon, for about 99% of fresh water fly fishing, the reel is just a place to hold line. Get what you want, but dont spend a ton of money on a high end reel. Virtually all less expensive (okuma, orvis battenkill, etc) are perfectly adequate for the task of hauling in that "monster" 22 inch brown.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Brian, if you are still searching for a rod also, dont forget the option of a custom made rod. I got my new 5wt just before the winter and it is a work of art. I found a great guy in RI that made me a beauty. I am sure there are other guys that offer this service also.
I was amazed at the cost being 1/3 of what some of my name brand rods are. I would be happy to give you more information if you are interested and you are welcome to take a look at it or try it out.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 PM

I have fished with many medium, to high end reels. I sill use an older Ross, and Lamson, and they still work great. A couple years ago I needed a reel in a pinch, and bought an Okuma SLV. I now own 4 SLV's on fresh water rods, and 1 Okuma HELIOS on my striper set up. Can't say enough good about these reels for the price. I will put the HELIOS up against any reel, at any price. Thats just my .02. All the reels your looking at seem awsome, don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Best of luck, hope the first fish is a giant.
rc
Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 PM

I like Ross and Orvis for mid-priced reels. Sierra usually has closeout Bauer and Lamson reels marked way down.

Like kmudgn said, I personally can't see paying Abel or Tibor prices for a trout reel.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Well....I must disagree with many of the above posters. Unless you fish nothing but little brooks for tiddler Brookies; the reel is not your least impt piece of equipment; it's not just a "place to store line"; in fact...it may just be your most impt piece of wquipment...far more impt, in fact, than the rod. (We'll often see out backing (a LOT of backing) a dozen times a morning on the Missouri. If your reel hesitates just a HAIR----ping!! (bye bye trout).

That having been said.....perhaps I may be of assistence. I use an Abel Creek #2 (fantastic reel, by the way). I have several other Abels, too.....both C&P and disc drag ones. Unless you feel you really need the disc drag (you don't, by the way)...only get the Super 4N (another beautiful reel) if you just WANT one.....you surely don't need one in trout/landlock/smallmouth fishing.

The internal HEX nuts on the Creek #2 work just fine.......and changing spools is a snap. Changing spools on the Super Series is easy too......you just need a dime.

Certainly you can get by with cheaper reels.....but why would you if you really want the Abels? (Truth be told.....I also dearly love my Hardy's, too).

Dave (Reel Whore <G>) M
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 PM

Default What about Galvan?

I have the Ross Evolution Lt #2, great reel, but you already know that because you have the #1. With that being said, have you looked at Galvan reels? The spoke and torque series reels are great, they are low on the weight side of things, have quick release spools and are 100% USA built. They also have a less traditional look, that I personally like. Just a thought.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Brian--I have that very same Tibor.
Bought it at Hunter's 10 or 11 years ago to mate with that Sage XP 6wt, for big water out west and around these parts as well.
It is flawless and good for salt as well..a buying point.
I like things that work well and are built well and that is part of the enjoyment of owning such things. Well made things.

You are welcome to take it for a serious spin.