November 20, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM

Default Contoocook River Fly Fishing

Hello NH Fly Fishermen. I was told to try out this site by my friend Marc A.K.A BushBuck. I am a new trout fly fisherman who just attended Trout Unlimited's Kids Fly Fishing camp in mid July. This Wednesday however I will be visiting my sister in Henicker NH and since she is going to be gone for 6 hours I was thinking of trying out the Contoocook River. What are some popular flies to use or spots to go to at this time in the year? Thank you so much for any information! (P.S My sister lives directly across from Pat's Peak so I was going to walk or bike to the river just down the road.)

Last edited by Woolybugger123; 08-01-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:45 PM

Welcome Woolybugger! Are you the young man I met with your Dad in the store?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Default title

Yes that's me!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Default Pedal Down The Street...

given you are not driving, it may not be worth your while to spend time and energy to pedal to the special regulation section above Henniker, especially if the water may be a bit warm for trout fishing right now. I think you'd enjoy fishing the section south of the town center (along Water Street). There are rapids that run all way to the broken dam east of Henniker. The rapids give you good practice on what to expect on some of the larger trout rivers. That section of the river is loaded with good size smallmouth. Smallmouth are great fun on a flyrod and hold in places that are similar to trout.

Wooly buggers, streamers and big nymphs all work fine.

sing
Old 08-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Great to see you here. I was impressed to see a young man with such passion for our sport when we met. I remember the days when my friends and I would fish for miles on our bikes. I rarely see a young man with a fishing rod strapped to his bike these days.

I am not an expert on that area, but hopefully someone on here can help you out. I remember there was a dirt road across from Pats Peak that we used to hunt birds down there in the farm fields. The river follows along those fields, but I never fished there.

Up the road just before you get to town there is an old road on your right where the closed bridge is. I have not fished there in a few years, but it used to fish well.

I would love to hear a report on the camp you went to. TU does a great job and there are no other fly fishing camps like it that I know of in NH.

Congrats and good luck on Wednesday.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Thank you so much! I have some experience with fly fishing for bass so that would be great! I was going to fish near the Highway Dept place near the old dam.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome to the board , nice to have the younger generation here

Its all good SmallMOuth area down near the COrnfields this time a year and the weather and water should be pefect for some wet wading the edges . good luck . Everyone here offered good places already we use to put in at the old bridge and float down to boat launch over in front of Patspeak always caught many smallies there .
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolybugger123 View Post
Thank you so much! I have some experience with fly fishing for bass so that would be great! I was going to fish near the Highway Dept place near the old dam.
That section and upstream to the bridge that crosses over from the center make for a good section because it has rapids and glides. You learn to read the water, how the fish relate to the structure and seams in the current and how to fish the fly according to speed and depth. In other words, it's great practice for trout fishing on a freestone stream/river. You can fish it heading up river from the rapids below with dryflies/poppers and big nymphs, or you can fish downstream using streamers starting from the rapids right under the bridge at the center of town.

There are bigger fish in the deeper calmer sections below the broken dam but it becomes a bit like fishing a lake. You have to fish it over and over to figure where the underlying structures are because these are not as readily apparent from the play of water on top that one sees from rapids.

Anyway, have fun. I used to fish the Contookcook a lot earlier on when I first started flyfishing because my sister has a place by a pond in the neighboring town. So, I used to go up there for the weekends and fish the Contoocook and other rivers in that immediate and adjacent areas, the Warner, Ashuelot, Sugar and Masacoma. The 'Took was one of my favorites early on because of the large brown trout and also the cooperative smallmouth when it got too hot for trout fishing. BTW, another good section, when you drive, is the section below the Hopkinton dam. The are some nice rapid sections from the dam pool down to the cover bridge and slightly beyond that. Nice bass, pickerel and the occaisonal stocked rainbow trout.

sing
Old 08-02-2011, 12:24 PM

Woolybugger-

Thanks for joining us here. We enjoy helping new comers. I am certain of this since I am a newcomer myself.

Everyone seems to have hit on everything I might tell you, so.... Good luck and enjoy the outdoor experience. When the day comes to an end fish or no fish, that is what it is really about.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 AM

Default .

Thank you so much for all your information guys! I caught somewhere between 10 and 20 smallmouth nothing too big but they sure did fight! I also got caught by a passing journalist and I am being published in the Henicker Monitor!

Tags
bushbuck, contoocook, fly fishing