November 22, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM

Default NH Stocking Report - iPhone App

** Waiting for Apple's Approval **

-----
Update 09/25: Apple rejected the app:

"We found that your app only provides a very limited set of features. It only provides a table of locations that link out to Maps in Safari. While we value simplicity, we consider simplicity to be uncomplicated - not limited in features and functionality.

We understand that there are no hard and fast rules to define useful or entertaining, but Apple and Apple customers expect apps to provide a really great user experience. Apps should provide valuable utility or entertainment, draw people in with by offering compelling capabilities or content, or enable people to do something they couldn't do before or in a way they couldn't do it before."

After my appeal:

"Thank you for submitting an appeal to the App Review Board for the review of your app, Fishing NH.

We have completed the evaluation of your appeal and have determined that the review findings of September 17, 2012 are appropriate for Fishing NH.

In considering the quality of an app, it is less about a specific quantity of features - or even specific features. Rather, it is about the experience the app provides. Apps should be engaging and exciting, enabling users to do something they couldn't do before; or to do something in a way they couldn't do before or better than they could do it before. Focusing on a primary problem to solve or need to fulfill, apps should include a feature set that intuitively and comprehensively addresses those needs and exceeds users' expectations. And apps should deliver a robust user experience that takes full advantage of iOS and the unique characteristics that differentiates it from other platforms.
We understand that it will take time and resources to revise your app to provide a compelling user experience, but we hope you will be inspired by the new ways developers continuously innovate on the iOS platform."

Apparently they're not a fan of the UI (it looks the same as the android version). I'm making some tweaks and will try to re-submit.

Last edited by ijmiller; 09-25-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 AM

I was just thinking of this on my drive to work this morning. Thanks for the update, if I can help out in any way let me know.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:36 PM

Just say no to stock trout.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 AM

Update 07/11: I've almost completed the initial release! I still have some detail work to do, and need to create a developers account with Apple but the major work has been finished. I hope to have the app up on app store by the weekend.

The app looks very similar to the android version: Fishing NH - Android. The initial release has all the same features (parsed reports, maps to waterbodies, etc.) except for data caching and new report notifications. I will be adding these via updates.

Developing android apps is a bit different than iOS apps. Apple requires a Mac to develop, sign, and upload apps to their app store. They also charge a $100/yr developers fee to use their app store, and a 30% charge on any sales. On the other side, Google doesn't require specific hardware and charges a $25 flat developers fee. Because of this, I can't release the iOS version as a free app, like I do the android version. I'm planning on pricing it at $1.99, with no ad banners and lifetime updates.

NH also posts fishing derby information, PDFs containing previous months' reports, length limits, depth charts, etc. I'm planning on getting all this integrated into a new waterbody details page in the app through the next few months.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 AM

You are the man! Maybe some real time flow charts for the bigger rivers would be something to think of adding, just a thought.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:53 PM

Awesome! Looking forward to it.
"When a fish is caught on bait, I feel bad for it being so gullible, unable to resist - often gut-hooked. When a fish is caught on a lure, I sometimes feel it's been abused especially if there are barbed galvanized treble hooks or umbrella rigs involved. But when I catch a big, smart striper (or a native steelhead, or a double-digit bonefish, or a remote lagoon tarpon, or....) on a self-tied fly, I feel that neither of us have any shame when we look eye to eye." -Juro
Old 07-11-2012, 04:57 PM

Nice going!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:22 PM

I've finished the app (initial release) but I cannot get it onto iTunes until I receive a D&B number and get approval from Apple. I've been told it could take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks (submitted the paperwork three days ago)... I'll keep you updated.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 PM

Sorry for the delays... I'm still waiting on the D&B number so that I can create a developer account with Apple. I've been told to expect it by the 11th.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 AM

I've received the D&B number and tried to create my account with Apple but it appears it takes another 14 days for the number to be visible... While waiting for this nonsense to take care of itself, I've been continuing to upgrade the app and now have the entire 2012 season stocking reports integrated (not just the current report posted on the state's website).

Tags
app, fishing nh, ipad, iphone, stocking