November 23, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM

Thumbs up Pittsburg = One of my new faves!

Living in NYC, but formerly of the Merrimack Valley, I dont get up to NH much, but the stars aligned last week for me! Went up to Pittsburg last Thursday for an overnighter.

Stayed at Lopstick and, much thanks to this forum, I found a terrific guide to introduce me to those waters.

I hired Patrick Ard (Fishstoryguideservice.com), who posts on this website (I think his username is NHYoungGun).

Wow. I had a terrific experience. As Patrick said on the phone, he literally knows every rock in the river where we fished (Tropy Section of the Connecticut).

I was fishing nymphs, emergers and terrestrials... I lost count on how many beautiful 'bows I brought to net.

Patrick was really on the ball. He knew exactly what fly to go with and when to change or move. I was out the following morning, solo, and landed another 8 or 9 10-12" bows in one pool, following his recommendations

If I ever get back up there, I will definitely hire Patrick again. I have hired guides in a lot of different places. This was--by FAR--the most productive trip I've ever had, especially considering its abbreviated timeframe!

Thanks again to this forum for a wealth of information-- it really made this last minute trip possible!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Patrick is a great guy to fish with. Very knowledgeable and knows his way around the north country.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
Sounds like a plug as much as anything.
What's wrong with someone with relating a good experience with guide here. Especially when that guide has been a long time contributor to this forum. If it was a crappy experience with an unqualified guide, we would want to know about that.

If that comment was meant as a shot at Pat, then I would suggest you are talking out your ---. He is a great guide.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM

Dont know Pat myself...but I have heard good things about him and his fishing prowess... and he sure has some monster picts on his website. Kudos to you Sirk98 for escaping NYC to Pittsburg for some trouting...Do you have any picts ?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Sorry guys, I spoke out of turn. I misread the post and took it as a shameless plug from someone trying to help someone else drum up business.
I've deleted my response.
My bad.
I'll be the first to admit when I am wrong.
-BT
Old 07-16-2012, 04:54 PM

Smile

Hey all!

I really dont know Pat, aside from this trip. So, inasmuch as I plan to go on TripAdvisor.com and write a review for Lopstick, I thought it would be good to provide info on a guide, and also some info for other folks unfamiliar with Pittsburg...

I hope to add pics at some point this week-- cant from the office
Old 07-16-2012, 04:56 PM

I also should have spent a little more time talking about how this forum (via searching) yielded all the info I needed to make this trip happen.

I was literally on the train to Boston when my lodging fell through for one night, and found everything I needed to get on the water (lodging, guide, etc).

Loving this forum
Old 07-18-2012, 08:19 PM

Talking

I remember when Pat was know for his running and not fly fishing! My guess is that he is as good with a fly rod as he is with a pair of racing flats.

Ken

Ps...remember the north country has didymo and we would like to keep it to the 4 NH rivers that it is in so freeze your gear or soak in soapy water before you river hop.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:43 AM

Default A few pics...

Finally had a chance to put up some of my favorite pics from this trip

Tried to resize these, but still not sure how to do that on forums like this...
Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Nice pics! Hopefully you do hire Patrick again next year because i'm sure there are hundreds of places he didn't even get a chance to take you to yet!

Hopefully you had a chance to peek at his flybox like I did The first time I went with him, he sold me on his fly he came up with, the feedinator, I now tie them and catch fish with them everywhere.

Molon Labe.

"If you were in the wild, I would attack you. If I were a lion and you were a tuna, I would swim out in the middle of the ocean and eat you. "

Tags
cabin, guide, nh young gun, pittsburg