November 19, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Gear Discussion

Old 11-03-2012, 11:06 PM

Thumbs up Lets talk flies, lets talk locations

So heres the deal, i've just started learning pretty much everything about fly fishing. Been soaking it in like a sponge, night and day. As of now the only thing i've been tying on my own are WoolyBuggers by the dozen. I plan on fishing throughout the rest of the fall and well into the winter. My question for people who are still regularly fishing and plan to fish into the winter is what I should start learning how to tie now to prepare myself for the coming weeks/months. Nymphs? Midges? What will be working from now on? Any advice would be helpful. Also where are my best chances of landing some fish. So far I've only been fortunate enough to fish the Cocheco a few times as well as the Isinglass and the Pemi. I've heard of some Salmon being caught out of the Pemi in Bristol but i'm not sure how long the Salmon fishing will be good for. I understand that people have fishing spots that they would like to keep to themselves which I have no problem with whatsoever. Just a Young (20 year old) novice fly fisherman trying to get as much information and experience as possible. As always, Thanks and Fish On!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 AM

I would add egg patterns to your list. Their easy to tie and deadly effective this time of year.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:55 PM

I agree with the egg. I just tied up an egg sucking leech pattern. I'm interested to see how that works..
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to natefish

Learn how to tie a Royal Coachman dry fly...then try it in the Isinglass...you might be surprised. Size 12...
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 PM

I've always wondered, how do you know what color egg to use? is it just trial and error?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, twinfish93 and I will be having a fancy little fly tying session later tonight as a matter of fact. As far as color goes, I don't have a clue. Red? Yellow?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Default Eggs

I don't fish eggs much anymore, but when I did, I carried yellow, cream, orangy red, and pink. I tied the yellow and cream ones with an orangy red blood spot. You might also look into the Y2K, and Esatz eggs.

As to color selection when fishing, I would start with yellow or cream, and switch around from there.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 PM

I have never fished egg patterns .....but in the late fall/early winter I have always fished midge patterns with fairly consistent success. CDC emergers , cream midge emergers , olive BH emergers ,bubble back emergers , zebra midges , Griffith gnats , pinheads , wd-40's , serendipity's and the always productive soft hackles. Most of these flies are in the size range of #18-#24 and fished on the surface or just below the surface film.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwcab View Post
I have never fished egg patterns .....but in the late fall/early winter I have always fished midge patterns with fairly consistent success. CDC emergers , cream midge emergers , olive BH emergers ,bubble back emergers , zebra midges , Griffith gnats , pinheads , wd-40's , serendipity's and the always productive soft hackles. Most of these flies are in the size range of #18-#24 and fished on the surface or just below the surface film.
Agree 100% If you don't want to get into tying the full spectrum of midges, tie up some Griffith's Gnats from #20 to as small as you can tie. I tie some down to #30, but hackle that small can be hard to find. Also, some BWO's in #24 to #28 can sometimes save the day. I tie the #24 & #26 as parachutes, and the #28's as CDC duns and emergers.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 PM

i've never tied a fly smaller than #20.. i might need a microscope. just kidding i'm only 19 i should be able to see it! where could I get some hooks that small? just tied my first marabou muddler.. any suggestions on it? I'll post some pics up of the "micro" flies when i tie them

IMG_20121105_215048.jpg

Tags
cocheco, fly's, isinglass, locations, pemi