November 20, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2013, 01:34 PM

Default where to fish??

Hey everyone im new here, im 15 years old and I just started fly fishing a little over a year ago and I have been on two trips to Montana. I havn't got out yet this year but I am thinking about going later and I was wundering if there are any good spots for trout right now in the tooky/Hopkinton, warner, and Henniker area and what flys the trout seem to be striking at?? Thank you
Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Hey Fished1,

I'm new to the Henniker area as well. What I can say is that the fishing should start picking up soon, once the snow in the woods is gone. The water is still pretty cold, and in many places, relatively high so the fishing can be tough.

Regardless of exact stream/location, your best bet for flies this early in the season would be sub-surface (unless, of course, you are lucky enough to find some surface-feeding fish). Nymphs and streamers fished through the deeper areas...this time of year, I'm partial to a black bugger fished slowly. The water temperatures tend to peak during the mid-afternoon, so if you have limited time, try to target the afternoon hours.

Personally, I'm looking forward to hitting some hatches once the water warms up a bit! Stoneflies should be hatching now, but I've never had much luck finding fish rising to stoneflies (although they are a staple out West in places). Once the caddis and early mayflies start to hatch in force, it's go-time for dry flies! I don't leave the house without some of the generic patterns such as elk-hair caddis and parachute adams in different sizes, along with some of the reliable match-the-hatch imitations.

Tags
bass, flyfishing, montana, panfish, trout