November 18, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM

Default Western MA local knowledge question

OK, I've lurked on the forums long enough (great info and free entertainment!), time to expose my ignorance with a question. I'm heading out to the Deerfield River below Fife Dam for a float trip and hoping to find a decent place to camp the night before between there and Greenfield, preferably camping rough and not at an organized campground. If it happened to be near a stretch of wadeable (by a rookie) water then so much the better!

Any suggestions for both the camping and wading parts of that question? Obviously not asking for a spot burn, just general suggestions. Many thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:26 PM

It's not "rough" but if it's still open, there is (was?) a small campground on Rt 2 just after the bridge that crosses the river. The road you would take to get to Fife Brook dam is just before the bridge. The river is on the back side of the campground and was one of my first fly fishing spots back in 81.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:10 AM

I am pretty sure there is camping in the Mohawk Trail State Forest- semi-organized rather than "rough" (relative terms I guess - I have not camped there but others on this board have). It is at the confluence of the Cold River and Deerfield. It is a good stretch of water there from where the rivers join down to the RR trestle, I pulled some nice browns out one morning last year.

Last edited by ljgurke; 06-07-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 AM

Thanks to you both Aljack and ljgurke! Will make a couple of calls and check out both options. Another acquaintance mentioned someplace called Wilcox Hollow along Rt 2 west of Greenfield but provided no info, checking on that as well.

Now all I have to do is concentrate on catching the fish and not the fat guy chucking the fly...

Tags
camping, deerfield