November 18, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > Pro Section > Pro Forum

Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to natefish
Default Autumn Angling...A Fall Report

On the first day of October we are at about peak foliage. The pumpkin people are out,and the Fryeburg fair is rolling. The trout seem to be partaking of fairlike festivities, as they have been gorging on every bug in sight. The brookies, in particular, are brighter than the leaves.

Last week I had the pleasure of guiding good friend, and author, Bob Mallard. Bob is writing three books on fly fishing. Info on his first two books below.https://www.facebook.com/25BestTowns...orTrout?ref=hl
https://www.facebook.com/pages/50-Be...1645201?ref=hl

Bobís third book, which hasn't made it to facebook yet, will highlight the fifty best brook trout destinations in the country. One of these destinations will be the White Mountains, and this was our focus last week. Dianna, Bobís wife, got some amazing photos of New Hampshire's state fish. I look forward to seeing them in print.

The fishing has changed quite a bit since my last report. With the crisp fall nights, water temperatures in our high elevation streams have dropped into the mid 40ís. This means that fish in this habitat have slowed down, and you will need to fish slow and deep to hook-up. A better idea, is to focus on the lower elevation streams and bigger rivers. The wild brook trout fishing, in the low country, is hot right now as these fish are getting ready to spawn. The Saco is also still fishing well. The savvy angler knows that the key to fall success is to go big or very small. Another area of high activity is the Androscoggin river. With water temperatures now in the mid fifties, fish are feeding heavily from mid-day to dusk. This is perhaps my favorite time of the year to fish the Andro. Iíve been fortunate enough to get up that way the past few days and have seen some spectacular nymph, and dry fly fishing. My strategy is to wait until about mid day before I hit the water. By noon, the water has warmed and the bugs start to activate. I begin fishing with a dry/dropper combo and take most of my fish on the dropper. Between three and four oíclock is when I move from faster to slower stretches of river in search of splashes. Yesterday I landed a some beautiful wild rainbows to 16Ē and lost some bigger fish that Iíll be going back for this afternoon! Pictures attached are all of fish caught over the past few days.The flies of choice over the last few weeks have been as follows:

For Wild Brook Trout: red humpy, CDC cornfed caddis, size twelve woods special, parmachene belle and other wet-flies.

For the Saco: Zoo cougars, flying ants, griffiths gnats, small adams.

For the Ellis: Sunken beetles, ants, stonefly nymphs, copper johns.

For The Andro: Prince nymphs, birds nest nymph, pheasant tail nymph. Royal coachman, adams, blue winged olives, ants, october caddis, zoo cougars.

If you havenít been on the water in a while, now is the time to get your fix in before the snow flies. While the regular season closes on October 15th, There is still fishing to be had on the lower androscoggin, general regs ponds, such as White lake, and Lake Chocorua, as well as the atlantic salmon fishing on the Pemi.

Tight lines,

Nate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wildbrookiered!.jpg (78.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg androbrown.jpg (86.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg holdover2.jpg (83.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg wildautumnbow.jpg (96.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg wildautmnbow2.jpg (95.1 KB, 87 views)