November 19, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 03-16-2015, 12:30 AM

Default Looking for sea run trout

Anyone aware of any places I might find some sea run trout? I've never fished the salt, but I dream of it

Thank you
Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cree View Post
Anyone aware of any places I might find some sea run trout? I've never fished the salt, but I dream of it

Thank you
Barrys Brook in Rye is the only place that I know of in NH that is/was managed for sea run trout. If my memory serves me right I recall hearing that they cancelled the program along with the atlantic salmon program as well. It was an iffy at best fishery. Some years were good, most were awful. All depended when they stocked it, what the tide was, how many seals were around etc... In my opinion it was totally mismanaged and should never have been managed for sea sun browns but instead for Sea Run brookies... rumor has it back in the day Berrys had a great sea run brookie population... I was into it for a few years, picked up some fish here and there but I eventually got over it and realized it wasn't really worth the time freezing my a$$ off. Now I focus mainly on bass and pike....

Other than that in NH occasionally some 'sea run' trout will be caught in the tidal portions of stocked rivers weather they are actually sea run or just happened to make it that far down the river.

The Ogunquit and Mousam Rivers in Maine both are managed for sea run browns, with the Mousam probably being the more popular and productive.

'Down East' apparently has a lot of good top secret honey holes for both sea run browns and sea run brookies but the guys who fish those streams are usually pretty tight lipped.

Mass also manages some brooks down on the cape for sea run brookies as does RI, some are very productive too.

If you look around hard enough and do some adventuring then I'm sure you can find some, they are there just not in the numbers of say the Baltic coast where they are fished for as stripers are here. I'm sure there are still fish in Barrys or the surrounding coastal marsh streams, they always where but they are just plain hard to catch.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:56 AM

At one point Maine stocked the Salmon Falls River in South Berwick and the York river as well. If you check out their website you might be able to see if they still are.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:31 PM

As noted, Berry's is a waste of time IMHO.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:27 PM

What ever might be left of that fishery is in GB chasing smelt right now. If you really had your heart set on looking for them, check the down current sides of bridges and bottlenecks on the major tributaries.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:42 PM

I caught a 4 pound sea run brown off the beach at the mouth of the Mousam one July day while casting for stripers. It was cool .... caught a couple decent shad the same day .... all on a 3 inch green sand eel.

I know a couple of decent streams on Mount Desert Island that have sea run brookies.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

I think you're going to have to go south to Mass.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 PM

Default Chasing Moby?

Im sure there a a few, very few sea run trout within a couple hundred miles of here. That said, no one has ever posted a picture on this site or the Maine site either. If there isn't a picture, it didn't happen. Cape cod has some for sure and Long island in NY has one stream that is a former private club I think. Until I see a legit picture its all speculation and wishful thinking.
Your better off going to Penn. for Steelhead. I would have said upstate New York but it looks like they screwed that up by stocking too small smolts and malnutrition due to poor forage ( Gobies).
Apologies to Bull Moose but he was fishing Stripers so it kinda dosen't count. I have no doubt it was a cool thing to catch though. Kinda like a white whale.
I'm going to fish for more Smallmouth, largemouth and striped bass. The whole stocked trout thing is on the decline anyway. I still fish for them but it is unsustainable in the long run.

Last edited by bridgeman; 03-18-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
Im sure there a a few, very few sea run trout within a couple hundred miles of here. That said, no one has ever posted a picture on this site or the Maine site either. If there isn't a picture, it didn't happen. Cape cod has some for sure and Long island in NY has one stream that is a former private club I think. Until I see a legit picture its all speculation and wishful thinking.
Your better off going to Penn. for Steelhead. I would have said upstate New York but it looks like they screwed that up by stocking too small smolts and malnutrition due to poor forage ( Gobies).
Apologies to Bull Moose but he was fishing Stripers so it kinda dosen't count. I have no doubt it was a cool thing to catch though. Kinda like a white whale.
I'm going to fish for more Smallmouth, largemouth and striped bass. The whole stocked trout thing is on the decline anyway. I still fish for them but it is unsustainable in the long run.
X2 especially for the largies, smallies and stripers in regards to the stocking of trout!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:04 AM

Bridgeman,

Keep spreading that epiphany! The less competition the better.

I'll take my 16" salters over your bass any day.

And since I have plenty of pics, it's always happening!

Steve