November 19, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Saltwater Section

Old 05-18-2015, 04:47 PM

Default Which tide do you like

Suggestion made we start a new thread. OK - how about which tide you prefer to fish and why ?
Old 05-18-2015, 06:14 PM

Loaded question. I've heard people say all different things about stages of the tide. I think each location has its best times and it's a matter of getting out there and figuring it out. Being far from the coast has made it difficult for me to figure out many spots so I usually end up fishing the same spot rather than getting the skunk like I usually do when I try new spots. Sorry but not very useful info
Old 05-18-2015, 07:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSNH View Post
Suggestion made we start a new thread. OK - how about which tide you prefer to fish and why ?
If you're fishing from shore, 9 times out of 10 it's incoming. You don't have much of a choice.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
If you're fishing from shore, 9 times out of 10 it's incoming. You don't have much of a choice.
Why is this?
Old 05-19-2015, 12:22 AM

Default ?

9 out of 10? I prefer the out going tide for the areas I fish. I like it even more if it coincides with the low light of early morning or evening. More water = more bait and more fish. As an inshore fly fisher I'm targeting creek mouths and ditches that bait is pouring out into the hoards of marauding Stripers . I'm also working ambush structure like points and rock piles that make rips.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
9 out of 10? I prefer the out going tide for the areas I fish. I like it even more if it coincides with the low light of early morning or evening. More water = more bait and more fish. As an inshore fly fisher I'm targeting creek mouths and ditches that bait is pouring out into the hoards of marauding Stripers . I'm also working ambush structure like points and rock piles that make rips.
that's what I was thinking
Old 05-19-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendemon View Post
Why is this?
Because the water is too deep to fish the channels and areas that big fish move through. If you're talking about fishing off the rocks, or along a sod bank in the backwater, then high tide is obviously better. Now, if you have a boat, that's a whole different ball game.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:54 PM

Gotcha Solid. I think I misunderstood. I usually try to fish the last couple hours of the drop and then into the incoming which is pretty much what you're saying
Old 05-19-2015, 11:53 PM

Best tide threads are misleading at best and downright detrimental at worst.

Every spot, even spots within spots, have tides that they fish best. These tides change based on weather, time of year, lunar stage, and sometimes for no discernable reason at all.

When approaching a spot for the first or hundredth time, just think about it logically. What stage of this tide would you frequent if you were a bass? When would you feel safest, have the largest quantity of food, and have it easy to prey on? As a bass, you wouldn't swim in the middle of the water column against a five knot current to eat a few silversides. You would, however, pick a sheltered spot behind a nice flat rock and pick them off as they drift past. However, you would leave as soon as the water got uncomfortably shallow. And, likely, you won't return when the tide changes and hide behind the other side of the rock if it's harder work.

Find the bait, find moving water, and have a fishable fly. Be stealthy. Make good casts. Then move on.

The ocean is just a big, glorified river. Unlike our girlfriends, fish act deliberately and with a form of logic. As long as you do that, questions about what tide is best will seem ridiculous. They're all good, at different times, for different reasons.

Connor
"When a fish is caught on bait, I feel bad for it being so gullible, unable to resist - often gut-hooked. When a fish is caught on a lure, I sometimes feel it's been abused especially if there are barbed galvanized treble hooks or umbrella rigs involved. But when I catch a big, smart striper (or a native steelhead, or a double-digit bonefish, or a remote lagoon tarpon, or....) on a self-tied fly, I feel that neither of us have any shame when we look eye to eye." -Juro
Old 05-20-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorR View Post
Best tide threads are misleading at best and downright detrimental at worst.
ConnorR will occasionally fish dead low, to incoming. Results may vary:

Another thing is fishing how you like to fish. If you like fishing off the rocks, fish the the high tides. If you like wading around skinny water looking for fish, then you have to fish low tides. Regardless, this is SPRING! Get out ASAP and for as many days as you can! These fish are angry, hungry and reckless!