November 20, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > Off Topic

Old 11-02-2017, 08:48 PM

Default Birds

Anyone finding any Partridge this year? Life has gotten in the way as usual on me but the limited times I've gotten out I have seen decent birds. Way better than last year.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:43 PM

Don't hunt small game much anymore due to deer season. Except for squirrels, which are everywhere and good practice for deer hunting. Went out with a friend today for birds - flushed two grouse, one woodcock and jumped one snowshoe hare - none of which we got a shot at. Think we were about a month late for the best grouse action and who knows about the woodcock. I'd heard from F&G that it was a down year for grouse due to a wet spring. Except for up around Pittsburgh and the southwestern corner of the state, grouse numbers were down they said. Woodcock were around they said. I've always found that to be hit or miss. There's resident birds around pretty much everywhere there's decent habitat, but when the weather gets colder they head south. And timing the flight birds is always tricky.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:55 AM

Having "chased" those little "bogsuckers" for well over 20 years, mu guess is it's been WAY to warm to get the flights started. As long as they can get that beak into the ground they won't move very far.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:06 PM

Put up 10 'Tridges and a couple of Woodies while muzzle loader hunting. Wouldn't have gotten many shots though. Go bird hunting see deer, go deer hunting see birds!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:40 PM

I went out back yesterday afternoon to practice with my bow - busted a big grouse out of a small pine about ten feet from the 30 yard marker where I place my target. Flew right across in front of me in the open for about 30 yards - must've known I had a bow in my hand instead of a shotgun!