December 13, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Getting stocked trout for a special event - need help

So the school where I teach has this two-day event in late April every other year where faculty members propose trips/activities and students sign-up for them. It's supposed to be a way to connect with kids around a common interest outside the regular classroom. Anyway, me and two colleagues are doing fly fishing. We have a local pond that is open to the public for events and has great shoreline access for casting. And it can be stocked. So I have a few questions . . .

1) Is it true that NH F&G will match us - fish for fish - up to 300 trout, for this event?

2) Are there any hatcheries in the Concord area that could provide the trout?

3) How much do trout cost? Never bought 'em - only caught 'em!
Old 09-15-2017, 04:19 PM

Not sure if you are attending Three Rivers auction on Sept. 18th at the Flag Hill Winery? The President and board members have been stocking since 2008. You could get a ton of info from them about all your concerns.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:28 AM

You should contact the Basil Woods chapter of TU. They've been doing a "kids" day for years that does the same thing you're asking about.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Dan View Post
So the school where I teach has this two-day event in late April every other year where faculty members propose trips/activities and students sign-up for them. It's supposed to be a way to connect with kids around a common interest outside the regular classroom. Anyway, me and two colleagues are doing fly fishing. We have a local pond that is open to the public for events and has great shoreline access for casting. And it can be stocked. So I have a few questions . . .

1) Is it true that NH F&G will match us - fish for fish - up to 300 trout, for this event?

2) Are there any hatcheries in the Concord area that could provide the trout?

3) How much do trout cost? Never bought 'em - only caught 'em!

Dan, Sumner Brook Fish Farm in Ossipee is where we get trout for my dads pond. Justin raises some great looking fish. The fish we get are 12" - 14" and are $6 each. That's where Three Rivers as well as the Pittsburg Anglers Association get fish from. He offers a variety of sizes of brookies, browns and rainbows. If the pond is not on private property or a closed system then you need to get a permit to release them from fish and game.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:50 PM

Dodge Grain in Bow used to sell stockers every spring.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"