December 11, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 07:01 AM

Default Republicans suck

As state employee that has seen my wages lag the cost of living for 20 years. A dad that put 2 kids through state schools, a home owner that pays A huge percentage of my income in property taxes, I think Republicans suck hard. For you Trumptards out there enjoy your 401k numbers because the reckoning is going to be here soon. I see a serious economic downturn in the future. Just like every other republican president since Nixon the republican money grab and/or a stupid war will drive us to ruin.
Back to the subject at hand. So a few second home owners (probably from out of state) determine the rules for us all. Where have we seen this before?
For the record, Obama gave you this economic upturn. The republicans/trump haven’t done anything other than make healthcare insurance cost increase.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:22 AM

Bridgeman, I agree with you but I think we should keep partisan politics out of a fishing forum.
Is anyone from the Newport, NH area going to the hearing?
Old 11-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Bridgeman I agree with you completely, and I will be there to vote on reckoning days ahead, but let's not derail the subject at hand. We need everyone.

I am disappointed in those in this grassroots fly fishing community who are hanging their heads in defeat before hearings begin. I agree that the governor and outside money forces that want to exploit natural resources are next to impossible to overcome. There is still power in simply showing up. If victory is not achieved, at least one can live oneself better knowing that you stood up for something your heart believes in.

I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's. Big Mellencamp fan: "I fight authority, authority always wins." I was a member of the Clamshell Alliance during Seabrook Station construction. I also worked for PSNH for over a decade at that time. Looking back I don't regret my stance back then. We didn't win total victory, we did have impact, and we were right.

My TU chapter has sent me info and talking points, I'm off work that day and the next. It's a bit of a ride, and quite possibly for nothing, but my wife and I are going. Have a couple of seats available if you can leave early enough from Exit 20 to eat pizza in Lancaster before the hearing. Let's take our best shot at getting our point across!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:26 AM

This is a Fly Fishing forum. I see enough of this political crap all day everywhere else. Keep it off of here.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude View Post
This is a Fly Fishing forum. I see enough of this political crap all day everywhere else. Keep it off of here.
What he said.

― Ernest Hemingway
Old 11-28-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H. View Post
First and foremost, NH Fish & Game manages our state's fisheries mostly for it's economic benefit, especially through tourism. Science is secondary. It seems to me that there is a strongly held and longstanding perception that rampant stocking is needed to maximize the economic benefit. We who'd prefer to see less stocking and, instead, stricter regulations and habitat improvement efforts, appear to be in the minority.
Bingo, this is what I've been saying. Nicely put Steve.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
What he said.
ditto on that
Old 11-28-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
...there is a strongly held and longstanding perception that rampant stocking is needed to maximize the economic benefit.
Largely agree with your take on this, but after many years of reflection on the demise of the trout fishery in the Upper Andro, I'd like to offer the following for consideration.

Many years ago, some local yahoos in the North Country took it upon themselves to drop some bass into Lake Umbagog and in a number of other locations along the Andro. These Jimmy Houston wanna-be's bought bass boats and didn't want to drive a half hour to get to bass water, so they made the decision to create their own... you guessed it, at Pontook, Umbagog and elsewhere. F&G knew who the culprits were. Now if I'm not mistaken, a part of the reason that the agencies were created was to protect (conserve) fish and wildlife populations and to prosecute those who threatened to upset the balance. BUT, nothing was ever done about this illegal introduction.

The Dept. was plagued with funding woes at that time, and looking back and trying to understand their thinking, it's pretty clear that The Dept. saw the introduction of bass as a means of increasing license sales - especially given the growing influx of "sports/tourists/visitors" from the south and west, and popularity of the Bass Masters circuit. The beauty of the bass (to The Dept.) was that this highly invasive, rapidly proliferating species would cost them absolutely nothing. No hatchery required, no stocking trucks, no regulations to enforce, nothing. So they turned a blind eye to the damage that began at that time, all in hopes that this new "fishery" would help to alleviate their funding dilema. Stocking of trout on the Andro was very light to almost non-existent when I was a kid. Not that was today. Stocking is basically the only way trout can be had there.

This paradigm is also the M.O. for Concord's repeated suggestions that walleye ought to be in Moore Reservoir. Another highly invasive and rapidly proliferating species that will cost them next to nothing to create. But one that will positive effects on license sales given the popularity of walleye. The truth of it is that walleye would have serious impacts to the ecosystem. But again, "science is secondary".

Now we're talking about hornpout on the Magalloway and the Andro. Being from that area originally, I can attest to the popularity of hornpout-ing in years past. Everyone fished for hornpout, and The Dept. lifted the (40 fish) limit regulation which caused local stocks to crash. Many people were going out and taking them by the hundreds.
I'm sure that the thought process in Concord is that if they can get people to believe that there are plentiful pout to be had, license sales will follow.
They'll play ball with anyone when their game is something that requires nothing or little from them. If it sells licenses, then they've done their job, which is now measured by revenue. But to the rest of us who understand the meaning of conservation, we see things in a different light. I'd like to see young people enjoy the caliber of fishing experiences I had. Because we want to see wild trout stocks protected, we're a threat because they actually have to do something other than manufacture and scatter trout. They're happy with their current stocking plan. So for Heaven's sake, let's not upset the apple cart.

Pretty sad. It's really too bad that they haven't been able to recognize the former glory of NH's trout waters, and the potential they have for restoration. NH could well become the next Montana. But that would mean having to endure the flack from folks who really don't understand... or care. Having done the right thing in Montana, the results speak for themselves. Fisheries managers there really do look good, because they did what was right and earned it.
But Concord would rather settle for business as usual.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headwaters View Post
NH could well become the next Montana. But that would mean having to endure the flack from folks who really don't understand... or care. Having done the right thing in Montana, the results speak for themselves. Fisheries managers there really do look good, because they did what was right and earned it.
But Concord would rather settle for business as usual.
NH will never be like Montana as we have entirely different geology, topography, water chemistry, and myriad other differences. But that's not to say improvements can't be made here.
It is a plain fact, however, that downstream fishing with a non-imitative fly (lure, in the British sense) does not mix comfortably with upstream imitative fishing...I'll stay out of the argument about whether this technique is really fly fishing. In terms of interest, it is for me ahead of most downstream fishing and spinning. And I've already opined that spinning is better than staying at home with the television set.

Datus Proper, "What The Trout Said"
Old 12-01-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
NH will never be like Montana as we have entirely different geology, topography, water chemistry, and myriad other differences. But that's not to say improvements can't be made here.
I agree. I see room for improvement in some areas but NH simply doesn't have the potential for world class fisheries of many types, except for bass.