December 17, 2017

Go Back   FlyFishingInNH.com Forum > General > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Email to parks commissioner

Mr. Rose,

In a recent letter to the editor in the Union Leader, a proposal to build a footpath using boulders in Profile lake was mentioned. I would like to know if this is a legitimate concern or a misunderstanding of the facts.
If this is a proposal or something in the planing stages I can assure you that the opposition to this plan will be strong with national organizations in the fight to to stop this.
I would also like to know if a dredge and fill permit application has been filed with DES for this project or as part of a larger development plan. I would also like to know about any proposed public hearings or environmental impact studies.
I plan on publishing your response to all the members of Trout Unlimited in the state and to the national headquarters of TU.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:47 PM

And yet DES rubber stamped Les Otten sucking millions of gallons of water out of the Andro.

SMH

Steve
Old 03-13-2017, 08:11 PM

Default Response from the commissioner

If a footpath were to be proposed along Profile Lake, there would be a process to follow, including the necessary permits. -There were several inaccuracies within the letter to the editor. -As an avid fly fisherman myself, I can assure you preserving the outstanding fly fishing at Profile is a priority to me.

All the best,

Jeff

I think this should put this alternative truth to bed.

Truitman is correct. That Androscoggin water withdrawal is a joke. Just like the canal they made of the river at Errol dam and the diversion of the river at Pontook. This was done under Sununu number ones watch. Sununu number twos gift to the north country will be Northern Pass. Follow the money. Eversource owns that guy just like Public service owned his dad. Money talks in in this state. Don't forget that.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:18 PM

Default I was wrong. Those bass turds are going to try to do it.

I feel the footpath is a ridiculous idea. There will certainly be opposition from local and national organizations. I find the idea personally offensive.
I also feel your intentions in your last email was to mislead me. You clearly were aware of the proposal and were not forthcoming.
That place is not Disneyland.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 23, 2017, at 4:43 PM, "Rose, Jeffrey" <Jeffrey.Rose@dred.nh.gov> wrote:

Following up on my note from the other week, I wanted to keep you informed of the potential project. -The follow release was issued today. -As I referenced, there will be a process to follow which includes a public comment period. -I'd encourage you to be engaged on the project and hopefully attend the information session.

Fly fishing at Profile is one of my favorite activities, so any actions the agency takes will certainly take protection of the fishery into consideration.

Thanks -

Jeff

Jeffrey J. Rose
Commissioner
NH Department of Resources & Economic Development
172 Pembroke Road
Concord, NH
603-271-2411 - office
603-419-9300 - cell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Department of Resources and Economic Development
DIVISION of PARKS and RECREATION
172 Pembroke Rd, Concord NH 03301 -Phone: 603/271-3556 ---
CONTACT: Amy Bassett, 603-271-3556, amy.bassett@dred.state.nh.us

For Immediate Release -------

Profile Lake Trail Public Information Session

(Concord, NH) The New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation will hold a public information session to present proposed plans for the construction of a universally accessible trail between the Old Man Viewing Plaza and the Profile Lake boat launch in Franconia Notch State Park. The session will be held at Franconia Notch State Park's Park Headquarters on Thursday April 6, 2017, 6:00 pm. The trail will be constructed along the shore adjacent to Franconia Notch Parkway (I-93). In locations where there is not enough space between the parkway and the lake a boardwalk will be built using granite blocks in the water to support the decking. The length of the boardwalk is 670 linear feet and the total trail length is 1,578 linear feet. This project is funded by the Old Man of the Mountain Legacy Fund and is proposed in partnership with the Division of Parks and Recreation.

Public comment will be accepted until Friday April 21, 2017 and can be sent to Johanna Lyons at johanna.lyons@dred.nh.gov or Division of Parks and Recreation, 172 Pembroke Road, Concord NH 03301. For more information about the Profile Lake Trail, visit nhstateparks.org under News and Events, Improvement projects.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 10:35 AM
To:
Subject: RE: Footpath in Profile lake

Thanks for reaching out Normand. -If a footpath were to be proposed along Profile Lake, there would be a process to follow, including the necessary permits. -There were several inaccuracies within the letter to the editor. -As an avid fly fisherman myself, I can assure you preserving the outstanding fly fishing at Profile is a priority to me.

All the best,

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2017 6:16 AM
To: Rose, Jeffrey
Subject: Footpath in Profile lake

Mr. Rose,

In a recent letter to the editor in the Union Leader, a proposal to build a footpath using boulders in Profile lake was mentioned. I would like to know if this is a legitimate concern or a misunderstanding of the facts.
If this is a proposal or something in the planing stages I can assure you that the opposition to this plan will be strong with national organizations in the fight to to stop this.
I would also like to know if a dredge and fill permit application has been filed with DES for this project or as part of a larger development plan. I would also like to know about any proposed public hearings or environmental impact studies.
I plan on publishing your response to all the members of Trout Unlimited in the state and to the national headquarters of TU.

Sent from my iPad

Last edited by bridgeman; 03-23-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:25 PM

Default What a ahole!

That low life pos Jeff Rose flat out lied about what they were up to at DES. They are definitely trying to put a trail in the water on Profile lake. What a stupid idea.
I can't imagine how a dredge and fill would be allowed for that project. It absolutely crazy.
I plan on testifying and sending in a comment. I urge all of you to send in a comment to the person in the email.
I doubt that it will count for much. I'm guessing the decision has been made and they are just going trough the process to make look like they care.
I'm very versed in how the state works. He delayed telling me about it to lessen the chance i could mobilize opposition. The fix is in on this one. I can feel it. I wonder who will make money on this deal? I would guess a well connected friend of a politician.
I swear I'm moving from this place as soon as I can. I'm seriously looking at retirement in Canada.

Last edited by bridgeman; 03-23-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 PM

Default You are correct bridgeman!

No question you were lied to in a smooth and politically dirty fashion. The nhstateparks.org news & events page has links to the design, shoreline, and wetlands permits. These were signed by Mr. Rose on 2/8/17 and 2/10/17. I can think of a line from the Blazing Saddles movie that applies here.

I apologize that as an older technology curmudgeon I'm not creating a direct link here.

The whitewash is on, just like the aforementioned Androscoggin River deal. What comes next after the path? How about a floating liquor store with lottery tickets and bait on a fly fishing only pond!

Done with rant.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 AM

You guys want to stop the path?

Start a social media campaign against these guys

http://www.oldmanofthemountainlegacyfund.org/about/

They wont be able to survive the negative fall out.

Steve

PS: Email these guys - http://www.oldmanofthemountainlegacy...directors.aspx

Last edited by truiteman; 03-24-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-24-2017, 03:33 PM

I don't fish profile a whole lot but I'm not really liking this idea
Old 03-26-2017, 07:53 AM

Information on proposed path, I have notified the NH TU Council, NH Wildlife Federation and NH Guides Assoc.

plans
http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/profile-lake_ADA-accessible-trail-design_plan-set.pdf
wet lands
http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/Profile-Lake-Wetland.pdf

shoreland
http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/Profile-Lake-Shoreland.pdf
Old 03-26-2017, 12:00 PM

Thumbs down

It is amazing the amount of time, effort, and money that has apparently already been spent on this asinine idea. Hope that this can be fought, though I have my doubts. The invocation of the ADA as touted in the plans is likely to override any objections us flyfishing folk might have.